Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I have a 2009 macbook pro here that has developed a faulty hard drive. I've swapped it over to a new one. I've done this countless times over the years but this one has stumped me. I have tried booting from a lion recovery usb stick and from an el capitan install but with the same results. I select the usb to boot from, it brings up the OSX utilities screen, with the usual options to restore from time machine backup, install osx, disk utility ect. I can move the mouse around, but clicking does nothing, i can use the keyboard arrow keys to select anything form the list but pressing enter does nothing.

So i cant install OSX. I have another mac that I used to format the drive in HFS before it was put in so it shouldn't need formating in the macbook.

My only guess is its a hardware failure of more than the hard drive.

any ideas anyone?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I have a 2009 macbook pro here that has developed a faulty hard drive. I've swapped it over to a new one. I've done this countless times over the years but this one has stumped me. I have tried booting from a lion recovery usb stick and from an el capitan install but with the same results. I select the usb to boot from, it brings up the OSX utilities screen, with the usual options to restore from time machine backup, install osx, disk utility ect. I can move the mouse around, but clicking does nothing, i can use the keyboard arrow keys to select anything form the list but pressing enter does nothing.

So i cant install OSX. I have another mac that I used to format the drive in HFS before it was put in so it shouldn't need formating in the macbook.

My only guess is its a hardware failure of more than the hard drive.

any ideas anyone?

Not sure why clicking isn't working, so we'll best do a workaround. As you have another Mac, I'd suggest plugging in your new laptop drive through a SATA>USB dock.

From there you can hold CMD+R on startup on your other Mac and boot into the Utilities -- format external drive through Disk Utility and reinstall OS X to that newly formatted drive (you can install OS X to an external volume without any issues). Once OS X is installed, just take it out of the dock and pop it into your MacBook Pro. Should then boot fine & work OK :)

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Do you by chance have a USB mouse laying around somewhere? It might at least enable you to install the OS.

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Do you by chance have a USB mouse laying around somewhere? It might at least enable you to install the OS.

This seems to have done it weirdly. I wasn't aware the click on the trackpad wasn't working. I'll check it when it's finished installing. I would have thought it would work using the keyboard which is what confused me

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
This seems to have done it weirdly. I wasn't aware the click on the trackpad wasn't working. I'll check it when it's finished installing. I would have thought it would work using the keyboard which is what confused me

OS X doesn't usually use enter for the action of clicking via the keyboard. In my experience, its usually space. Not that it helps much now that its installed,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.