OSX v. WinXP Celebrity Deathmatch

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
closer match this time

both OSs are very robust and stable and XP's great and simple look is that way because they copied aqua, which they wouldn't have dared to do if they didn't own a still undisclosed double digit percentage of apple (or maybe like steve jobs said, he is flattered by the copycats of him instead of mad...either way, it shows apple made a home run with OS X)

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
I'm actually surprised that OS X got a favorable review on CNet.

I was a little peeved that they voted 6-0 against OS X for the interface round. Seems fishy. On one hand they acknowledge that XP dereived some of its interface attributes from X, then on the other they vote in favor of XP.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
installation

but they say OS X was an easier install because you have to actually register XP before using it...that is a crock, nothing is an "easy" install on a mac (it is the mac's weakest point...installing anything on PC is easier since extension and preference conflicts are solved beforehand)

and the interface thing is probably due to the average person being more used to windows since we know OS X is much better in that department

i think it is close overall but there is no objective yardstick out there

[Edited by jefhatfield on 11-02-2001 at 12:03 PM]

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
exactly, no objectivity exists in the world of computer experts. the interface rating was clear that the jury seemed made up of windoze users but that's okay. and jef...i have never had anything but problems with windoze OS installs, and from my little experience with an OS X install...wow it should always be that easy. also remember that the decision of Win2k v. OS X still had OS X the winner so don't be too surprised. i have a feeling that matt guy is like...steve ballmer or something GEEZ was he sniffing bill's rear.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
objectivity

i guess the reason PCs are easier on installs for me is because i am a pc tech for a living so i know all the tricks users don't know

even though i have used macs for 20 years, i am still just a user since there is no need for mac techs where i live...the relatively stable machines almost take care of themselves if you know what i mean

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
Sorry Jef, but I have to agree with Sparkleytone on the install issue. I've installed the Windows OS onto multiple boxes (being in the PC "support" business) and my experiences, although they weren't terribly bad, were nowhere near the simplicity of installing the Mac OS. Even early Mac OSes (7.6 thru 9.1) are pretty straightforward. Os X made the process even better (at least for the un-computer-savvy).

I think the problems with the install process for windows goes back to the fact that the Windows world is so diversified. So many diff Mobo's to support, diff sound cards, and on and on.

The mac is just a mac. I think that, at least in this case, the proprietary format of the macintosh is what makes the install process easier.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
good point

i didn't see it that way, but the windows world is pretty huge and could mount problems

i guess i am so used to windows since i am always fixing the same issues time and time again for my clients

...which i better get to if i am to get paid...i spend too much time on this or other forums but i learn as much from you guys and gals as much as from the other techies in the field whether they are 14 year old genius newbies or comp sci PhDs who have been coding since the 60s

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
Re: good point

Originally posted by jefhatfield
i didn't see it that way, but the windows world is pretty huge and could mount problems

i guess i am so used to windows since i am always fixing the same issues time and time again for my clients
Nice point. Don't you just love customers. :p I only recently began to venture into the PC world, only because, like you metioned in an earlier post, there isn't much need for mac-tech's around here (austin, tx). In order to make money I have had to learn the ins-and-outs of the PC world, of which there are many to learn ;)

My theory (and this may get me flamed, but oh well) is that whatever lets you get your job done should be used. Whether PC or Mac. I've use PC for my paid job, but i use Mac for my "side" jobs (video and film stuff) both let me do what I need to do.
...which i better get to if i am to get paid...i spend too much time on this or other forums but i learn as much from you guys and gals as much as from the other techies in the field whether they are 14 year old genius newbies or comp sci PhDs who have been coding since the 60s
haha, I think I spend too much time here also. But I tend to learn things that I wouldn't get from other sources. Although most of the dicussions turn into trivial debates that end up wasting my time.... <sigh>

Oh well, not much else to do during downtime....

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
networker?

you must also be a network engineer or a network god (administrator) or even worse yet, a suit who gets paid the big bucks and only needs to tell the administrators and engineers what to do while you get to actually go home at night

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
Almost

you must also be a network engineer or a network god (administrator) or even worse yet, a suit who gets paid the big bucks and only needs to tell the administrators and engineers what to do while you get to actually go home at night
Heh, "network god" haha, i wish. I'm more of a network apprentice. I only oversee 4 PC's in the office here. I also am in charge of scanning documents and other miscellaneous office duties (small business, few employees) However I do have one employee under me, but that hardly classifies me as a suit, since I tend to do more work than him...at least until I can train him.

I'm fairly new to networking, of anykind. Since I got this job (May, 2001) I've basically taught myself simple networking solutions. Only enough to get the computers connected in office, but man, that was a major crash course in NetBEUI, then TCP/IP. But since then, I've developed a "working knowledge" of networks and have since set up a Win2000 box to serve our database from.
Therefore, I would only classify myself as a network apprentice, since my knowledge doesn't even begin to compare to most network admins.
Now on the mac side, I've got that down...hehe (for the most part)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
networking is a pain in the ass but i love it. jef you are right there is no need for mac techs really anywhere hmmm wonder why that is? ;D anyways akuma if you really want to learn alot of networking in a small amount of time, then build a linux box from scratch and make it route. whooo that was fun lemme tell ya. it works tho and flawlessly at that. and i thought i knew alot. lol something new everyday i guess. also watch for an iBook drop in price as I just heard something about that. if you already know then just flame me im just a 20yr old n00b trying to get a nut.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000

my god, for this site, that makes you a senior citizen!

if anyone is over thirty, hide your age...really you will get picked at like a vulture if you were not born with a cpu in your baby crib!

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
but they say OS X was an easier install because you have to actually register XP before using it...that is a crock, nothing is an "easy" install on a mac (it is the mac's weakest point...installing anything on PC is easier since extension and preference conflicts are solved beforehand)

This is the most astoundingly untrue statement I've seen spoken in a forum in a long, long while.

Are you kidding me?

I would say one of the Mac's biggest points is that installs are so very easy and painfree on the Mac. Did you have trouble installing OS X?? You should've been around for the past 4 months as I've fought and fought to get Win2K configured properly. Getting a Radeon VE dual monitor card working under 2K proved ultimately impossible. I ended up going with two single-monitor cards as the drivers actually function.

Try adding a PDA or a digital camera etc. to a serial port on a PC and then later, try and claim that serial port for something else. You may as well saw off that portion of the motherboard once you've assigned a device to that thing---it's never going to be used for anything else.

Apple controls the hardware and the OS. This is why Macs will be the most painfree install scene of all. Try getting drivers to work well on PC's that you build yourself. It's a nightmare---but you've gotta try because if you're gonna use a PC, and want super performance, you've gotta spec it out yourself.

Maybe you were joking though. Possible?

blakespot

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
i have a knack for fixing pcs

...but i am terrible when it comes to installing anything on my desktop mac, but it has OS 8.1, and that could be the reason why? i heard 8.1 is tough to work with according to my fellow techs in the mac arena

but the iBook with OS 9 seems a lot friendlier but i am mostly a user in the macworld and a pc tech in real life so my viewpoint is probably skewed to the redundancy of doing pc tasks a lot...to be configuring windows 2000 is easier than doing it the hard way with the unfriendly NT which almost takes an expert to fool with...less wizards and a need to know protocols and the NTFS thing

ThlayliTheFierce

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Just glue your lips to Bill's butt Matt

I don't see how that Matt guy can talk about XP's wizards like they are a good thing. I hate them so much in 2000, and it looks like there will be more of them in XP. I don't want a wizard asking me what I want to do with the CD I put in! I can bloody well decide myself! Then again, I'm not most users. And I too found the interface decision hard to believe. 6-0? I could possibly concede a closer victory for XP, but it's hard to believe that they all hated it. I didn't much like the hipocrisy there either. And what is the problem with the Dock? Maybe some of you could explain to me what's so wrong with it. I don't understand why so many people hate it.

Oh yeah, and about the dragging cd's to the trash to eject. There's an eject button on the freakin' keyboard!

[Edited by ThlayliTheFierce on 11-03-2001 at 02:12 AM]

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
pcs coming out of my brain

do you know what is bad about fixing pcs for a living, blakespot?

it becomes so routine that you can fall into the famous "pc myth" that pcs are also easier to use

my pc work has made me forget the true simplicity of the mac

but for doing anything on a computer, i would still tell a newbie with no experience on either platform, to go mac because it is more user friendly

akuma

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2001
Re: 20

my god, for this site, that makes you a senior citizen!
I better start getting those senior dicounts then (I'm 23) haha.

sparkleytone:
I've actually tried to get a linux box running, both on the mac side and the pc side and have never had any luck....I've tried many flavors of linux and all would either hang on the install or not boot at all after installation. I've since been so frustrated that I have given up on installing anything linux (at least for a while anyway)