Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve hoppy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
UK
What is the latest version osx for this imac.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
What is the latest version osx for this imac.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac5,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

With 2GB RAM, the max OS is Lion (10.7.5).

However Lion is a massive resource hog and IMO is the worst OS Apple have released in the last decade. I'd recommend sticking/upgrading to Snow Leopard (10.6.8) as it's far smoother on your machine and a lot more stable.

Steve hoppy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
UK
With 2GB RAM, the max OS is Lion (10.7.5).

However Lion is a massive resource hog and IMO is the worst OS Apple have released in the last decade. I'd recommend sticking/upgrading to Snow Leopard (10.6.8) as it's far smoother on your machine and a lot more stable.
Thank you very much for the reply,how could i upgrade my mac to get a more up to date OS ?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Thank you very much for the reply,how could i upgrade my mac to get a more up to date OS ?

Unfortunately you can't. The OS limitation comes from a combination of many things and you can't upgrade the hardware to fix that. There are some ways to 'hack' a newer OS iteration onto unsupported Macs, but the performance is so poor that it's not worth the effort.

The only thing to do would be buying a newer Mac I'm afraid.

Steve hoppy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
UK
Unfortunately you can't. The OS limitation comes from a combination of many things and you can't upgrade the hardware to fix that. There are some ways to 'hack' a newer OS iteration onto unsupported Macs, but the performance is so poor that it's not worth the effort.

The only thing to do would be buying a newer Mac I'm afraid.
Exactly what i expected ....oh well thx for your answers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.