OSX versions in AppStore

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zoran, Dec 28, 2015.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

I downloaded El Capitan from AppStore but other versions of OSX are nowhere to be found. Couldn't i be able to get the free downloads of Yosemite, Maverics, Lion, Snow Lion, Snow Leopard etc.? Shouldn't all be there do download?

2. JohnnyC1969 macrumors newbie

JohnnyC1969

I don't think you'll be able to go back as far as Snow Leopard as I believe it was disc only (as were probably some of the others you mentioned).

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I dont see the other versions of OSX, only El Capitan is displayed!

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If you had already "Purchased" and downloaded those versions from the App Store when they were current, they will be listed in App Store > Purchases when you're signed in to your Apple ID.

If not, you'll only be able to download the latest version (El Capitan) free from the App Store, although Lion and Mountain Lion are still for sale on Apple's site and purchasing them will let you unlock the App Store download.

Snow Leopard and earlier was never distributed using the App Store, only on physical CD/DVD disks.

5. dfyoung10 macrumors newbie

You can buy discs all the way back to Snow Leopard for $19.99 but only the latest El Capitan is available for free download.

6. dwfaust, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015

dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

If you have ever installed a prior version of OS X using your current iTunes account, the full version of the previous version(s) should be available in your Mac App Store PURCHASES tab. You can download it to your Mac and create a bootable USB drive with that full install.

My rMBP shipped with Mountain Lion, and I just verified that I have Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan in the PURCHASES tab for download.

Also, the Mac App Store was not introduced until Snow Leopard (10.6.8), so nothing prior to Snow Leopard will be available via the MAS.

7. zoran thread starter macrumors 68030

I hadn't purchased or downloaded any OSX versions from the App store prior to Yosemite! And i i heard correctly, there is no ability of downloading for free Mavericks or any other OSX versions?

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

The App Store "page" for Mavericks is gone, which means you can't "purchase" it if you haven't already. Since I've purchased it before, I still have the ability to download it.