OSX vs. Linux

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Oct 21, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm a Linux user (ubuntu & fedora) and while I don't have a lot of experience with it, I've made some observations.

First I like hacking around and seeing how things work. Fedora and Ubuntu offer a lot of flexibility on altering/modifying/customizing the system, OSX, not so much.

However with that said, I find with OSX, stuff works. I spent an entire weekend trying to get video drivers working, several hours trying to get VPN working and unsuccessfully trying to get vmware installed (kernel version issue) While every OS has teething problems when it comes to upgrades (fedora 11 has a new kernel) I've always been pretty happy with how OSX has maintained compatibility from version to version.

At times I've been tempted to switch completely over to Linux but at the end of the day, all of my apps don't work on linux out of the box and I spend more time compiling/altering to get it work, rather then doing actual work.

Just my observation, I'm not here to bash linux because I'll still be using it, it has replaced my windows install and I use linux to connect to my company's network so I can work remotely. I'll continue to use it and play with it, but for me, replacing OSX doesn't seem feasible.

Any one else wish to share their opinions or thoughts?

2. Queso macrumors G4

I prefer OSX for desktop use, but nothing really beats Linux when it comes to building a machine for a dedicated task.

3. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

My thoughts exactly -- but I don't enjoy hacking around that much.

So at least for now, I'm significantly more partial to the OS that "just works."

I am looking at that Droid phone as an iPhone replacement, though....

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

maflynn...

That has been my experience also. There really isn't a lot of support from manufactures for linux. On both the software and hardware side. While I like it, I don't think at this point I can replace my OSX full time with it.

I like to tinker, but I am by no means a power tinkerer! LOL.......