OSX vs Windows (SSD Topic)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Woodcrest64, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I'm a fairly new Mac user and one of the most noticeable things I have encountered with OSX is that once OSX loads there are no start up applications trying to load as seen in Windows. Once Windows loads up there are all these other programs trying to start causing the computer to really bog down for the next minute or so. Once that is all done its fine and ready to use.

I can see the benefit in adding an SSD to a Windows machine as those start up application would make loading the operating system much faster.

However would there be any benefit to using an SSD with OSX other than the initial boot? I know applications would load faster in OSX with an SSD drive but my programs load pretty darn fast already.

I'm trying to see if there is any benefit to using an SSD drive in OSX.

2. junglepunk macrumors newbie

I'm using a MacBook Pro and recently added a SSD. Let me tell you, the difference is quite noticeable for everything you want to load from the SSD. Boot is faster, launching apps are faster, everything is very noticeably faster. I'm very happy with my SSD.

However the real question is how does OSX handle TRIM? What happens when the SSD gets fragmented? As far as I know Trim support is not built in to OSX.

3. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

TRIM is not built in yet, so it will get slower over time as data becomes less optimally located.

4. circularforward macrumors 6502

Because of the lack of TRIM, you'd want to get an SSD with good garbage collection built-in such as the SSDs with sandforce. Although there are many people who use other SSDs and OS X just fine.

5. larkost macrumors 6502a

People tend to focus on TRIM as if it was the only way of addressing the problems that SSDs can have when all of their cells have been written to. It does not seem that MacOS X supports TRIM at this point, however that is not the same thing as saying that MacOS X does not deal with the problem. The simple fact is that there is no information out there showing that this is a problem on Apple-supplied SSDs when used with MacOS X.

There is no data showing that it is a problem, and there is no data showing that it is not. Anyone who tells you that this is definitely a problem does not know that for a fact.

6. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Apart from the SSD's supplied by apple are not worth the money anyone has paid for them.

Performance of these drives are bad even before they become "used"