Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I'm having this problem when i try to burn a cd in osx with itunes or with finder i only get 24X out of it. I currently have a Lacie dvd drive that can write at 48X and the mac pro internal that can do the same i think. Anyone know whats going on?

PrOeliuM

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2005
I'm having this problem when i try to burn a cd in osx with itunes or with finder i only get 24X out of it. I currently have a Lacie dvd drive that can write at 48X and the mac pro internal that can do the same i think. Anyone know whats going on?

The Mac Pro Superdrive can only write CD-R's at up to 24x speed according to: http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

As for the Lacie drive, maybe it's the brand of disc you're putting in there that is causing the 24X cap. Try different brands of media and maybe one will work faster.

knome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Why would i buy a new drive if the one i have won't burn 48x.

ok that explains the mac drive but what about the lacie? I can burn 48x on my old computer.

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
so ppl like me with the Pioneer DVR-111D, the fastest i can burn is 40x?

or is there a firmware flash that can help me boost the maximum speed also?

knome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
so no one knows whats the reason? Also i have the pioneer one.

eMagine

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
so ppl like me with the Pioneer DVR-111D, the fastest i can burn is 40x?

or is there a firmware flash that can help me boost the maximum speed also?

hmm.. i also put a 111D in my Mac Pro as the second optical drive. I'm able to burn at 56x. what version firmware do you have? I have version 1.29.

garfield2002

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2003
I think your media makes a difference, be sure that you have 48x speed rated CDs. The cheapest stuff, at least for DVDs, only burns at 2-4x. :)

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Hello everyone, can I just ask those who have flashed their SONY/NEC superdrives if it gets any louder at the higher speeds? - I'm holding off until I'm sure it won't sound like it's taking off.

Thanks,

David

cw2k

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2006
Hello everyone, can I just ask those who have flashed their SONY/NEC superdrives if it gets any louder at the higher speeds? - I'm holding off until I'm sure it won't sound like it's taking off.

Yes it gets loud.

In windows you can use Nero Drivespeed to slow down drive and reduce noise when you want it to be quiet and allows noisy full speed when you need it.

Not sure if any mac apps exist that can do the same ?

knome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
i'm not an idiot, my media will burn at 56x, everything else works except it won't burn at 48x.

Here is a pic of my drives:

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
i'm not an idiot, my media will burn at 56x, everything else works except it won't burn at 48x.

Here is a pic of my drives:

i don't think anybody's calling you an idiot... but how do you know your drives can burn @ 56x? Eidorian mentioned the max for Pioneers are @ 40x.

what program are you using for burning? Toast?

but i'm still curious if there's a way to make the Pioneers drive faster?

knome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
ok i've narrowed it down to burning with itunes and finder, i think. Hope that helps people. I found that out by burning a disk with toast at 48X on my lacie drive and 34x on my internal drive.

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
Then why are you treating him like one? He just told you he is using 56x media. He did not say the drives will burn at that speed.

who pissed on your cereal this morning? so i misread it, my mistake; not knome's fault.

@ knome: i wonder if my burner burns @ the same speed you do. i better go check. btw, have you contacted Apple about this?

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I thought my mac pro burned at 32x from the finder--sans NEC patch

the NEC patch caused my computer to explode so I stopped using it.

Also, I wonder if the reason they tuned it down is to prevent buffer under-runs

knome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Ok since this is a little blury i took some pictures. Here is exactly what the problem is.

Here is the burn In itunes on the poineer internal:

Here is my lacie DVD Drive in itunes:

Now here is the toast burns that show the problem

For the poineer drive burning with toast:

Lacie Drive burning with toast:

This is the problem i am having.

theblotted

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Los Angeles
hmm, i just checked my MP, and Toast also says 32x, while iTunes says 24x. i'm using 52x CDR. strange.

i also have the Pioneer drive.

must be a firmware thing. i know Apple is known to do this kinda thing, to prevent buffer and possibly upgrade (or downgrade, rather) reasons.

something like this:

http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have a pioneer 111D that came with my macpro and an additional one that I bought myself and fitted.

The one that came will only burn at 24x or 32x in toast

The one I installed myself and updated firmware to 1.29 is 48x

The one that came refused to update it's firmware. The firmware updater says it cant see the drive ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.