OSX, Win7x64 and WinXP32bit on one MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dusk007, Dec 30, 2010.

1. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Tried the whole evening yesterday to install XP on a third partition and failed.
    Problem is after the file copy the install routine on the XP parition won't boot. I tried a few things but it doesn't work.

Before anyone says. Why would you do that??
    Well because I want to go to a little lan party and the games we play there often don't work in Win7x64 for some reason. By installing a small gaming only XP partition I am hoping to solve all the compatibility problems. Parallels would probably create more problems than it solves.

I have OSX on the first (visible) partition as always and had Win7x64 on the second.
    Now I put a third partition in between the too on which I want WinXP. It messed up the Win7 booting but I could repair that. Everything boots only WinXP gets stuck on a black screen with one blinking cursor. It is doing nothin.

I didn't use the bootcamp assitant as it is utterly useless. It wants to restore to one partition and make a new one. With rEFIt I can boot in theory anything but I don't seem to understand the theory because in my opinion that problem shouldn't be a problem.

I slipstreamed a WinXP SP3 CD which boots fine but the install works as well as with the original SP1 cd, i.e. it doesn't.

I really don't understand how efi works and what I need to do to make it work. My only left solution is to install XP on the same partition as Win7, but that can mess up a lot and might not solve anything. Also I'd have to free up space as that partition is pretty cramped.
    I could also use a Win7 32bit but I have no license for it lying around anymore.

Anybody tried this before and has some tips. I cannot find anything over google. It is usually people who have some bootcamp troubles by only adding a third data partition.

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

In theory it should work like this -

Install OS X on first primary partition.
    Use bootcamp to install W7, when installing W7, make another partition, one for XP
    Install XP on third partition.

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Bootcamp does nothing except make a partition for the people that cant figure out Disk Utility. You can do the same thing by going into Disk Utility and make a partition which will be formatted before you start the install of Windows. I have had Windows 7 32 and 64 on mine, Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP 32... I dont understand what problem your having. rEFIt is just a screen that allows you to choose the boot system like holding OPTION, it doesnt really do anything as far as making one work.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Op if you've still got the install media for win 7 32 bit you should be good to go. The key is the same and activation will realize it's the same machine and green light you.

5. dusk007 thread starter macrumors 68040

dusk007

Odd thing. Today I installed a virtual machine and tried a game in their but performance is nowhere close to usable for a 12+ people lan. Still gone a long way though because a few years back they wouldn't work at all. But it really slows down the system when you install something and disc access is high.
    I also often had a mouse problem where the left mouse button stopped working.

I already have my 3 partitions. I have enough experience with all kinds of partitions. You don't even need DiskUtility. Terminal and XP install works fine. I just thought something must be odd here as it simply doesn't start up and I guessed it has something to do with the BIOS emulation problem.
    I just found a 32bit win7 german dvd. I will try this one next. Unfortunately I didn't write the key on the DVD like I usually do.
    Maybe I just kill the x64 and use a 32bit. 64 doesn't really do any good anyways. Still more problems than it is worth and with 4gigs RAM I don't miss out on much.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

hahaha.

Extracting CD-Keys from windows is like taking candy from a sedated baby who actually doesn't care for the particular treat in question and would gladly relinquish it to you. (assuming you can use the one from your current installation)

But I suspect you know this.