OSX Woes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Elektroakoustik, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Elektroakoustik macrumors member

Elektroakoustik

Hello all,

I'm a recent switcher to the mac platform. I just bought a new penryn 2.5 ghz Macbook Pro with 4 gigs of ram and a 7200 rpm hard drive. But I've been having a few problems with OSX Leopard that keep re-occuring. I have a feeling they're just problems with this version of OSX, but I'm curious to see who else is having these issues or if anyone knows of any solutions.

1. Font smoothing doesn't seem to work on my external monitor. Everything looks very pixelated (not fuzzy, more like there isn't any font smoothing at all). I've tried each of the font smoothing options in system pref, but none of them do anything. Pictures looking fantastic but fonts don't always look right. I have an HP f2105 21" monitor connecting through dvi.

2. Sometimes when I wake my computer up from sleep, I'm missing everything on the right half of the top info bar or I'm missing everything on my desktop including the hard drive. It all comes back with a restart.

3. The new dock seems less smooth than the previous one (or even the side docks). I like it visually, but it definitely doesn't seem to be very smooth when scrolling through it. The non-smoothness is really apparent on my external monitor. This smoothness also goes toward the dashboard. When opening dashboard. Many times, the transition between the desktop and dashboard seems to be at a low frame rate. But if I switch between them a few times the frame rate goes way up.

4. Random freezes with programs that won't close even with the activity monitor. I have to hard shut down in order to get them closed.

Other than these things, I love my new computer. I'd just love to hear what your thoughts are on these things! Thanks!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Check the refresh rate of the second monitor, many have an optimal refresh rate, or is it connected over VGA, VGA makes things fuzzy compared to DVI.

As for all your other problems, I suggest reparing permissions before doing anything rash to fix your problem.

TEG