OSX won't boot but vista will

Discussion in 'macOS' started by julianbc, Feb 23, 2009.

1. julianbc macrumors newbie

I've done some searching to try and address this problem, but I haven't had any luck so far. So I installed Missing Sync 2.0 to sync my blackberry and mac, and I am not sure if it is just a coincidence, but that is when my problems started. Initially I could boot OSX and open programs fine, but when I tried to do something like to go to a new web page or compose an e-mail the program would lock up for about 15-30 seconds. I figured my hard drive might be going out, but I was able to repair the permissions and disk which went along smoothly and I verified everything with no issues. This made me think it might be a software problem, especially since I am able to boot the vista side of my mac just fine. When trying to boot OSX it just gets hung up on that grey screen with an Apple, but there is no blinking folder or anything else indicating a hardware failure. I also performed Apple's hardware test without any problems indicated.

Normally I would just reinstall OSX or revert to one of my time machine backups, but my problem is that I don't have the original discs that came with my Mac. I tried borrowing from a friend who also has a MacBook, but I wasn't able to run time machine or anything without my original boot discs, despite being able to repair permissions etc with someone else's boot disc. Do I have any alternative options aside from getting a new copy of OSX or ordering a replacement? I can access my OSX partition from Vista, so is there is anything I could try deleting or adding that might be the source of the problem? Just looking for some ideas on how to fix my problem with OSX or revert to a time machine backup without having to go through the hassle of getting a new boot disc.

Thanks in advance!

2. julianbc thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a better way to test the health of my HD through vista?