OSX Wont boot up on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tnsxsear, Jun 16, 2009.

1. tnsxsear macrumors member

So my macbook wont boot up anymore. It was doing the 10.5.6 combo update when the computer just all of a sudden shut down. Now it wont even start up or even start in safe mode. It just shows a folder with the little circle through it. I was able to boot from the install CD to archive and install the operating system but I do not have enough space to do it. Is their a way to clear up some space so that I can do this. I have all my wedding pictures on here and do not want to reformat the drive. Any help is appreciated

2. dbowlin17 macrumors member

do you have an apple store nearby? how about also a external hard drive? you need both. what I reccommend is going there with an external hd, they can plug in their external drive, and boot up leopard for intel. after that, i think (anyone correct me if i am wrong) you should be able to access your hard drive, back it up on your external drive, eject yours, restart and reinstall leopard. I THINK that would work, but I am not sure. I know you could pull out your HD, buy an enclosure, hook it up to another computer, and hopefully transfer stuff. hope that has helped.