OSX wont install on iBook, no idea what to do :S

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Chris3125, May 15, 2007.

1. Chris3125 macrumors member

So ive put my ibook on ebay and thought id give it a fresh install (first time ive done this) when it asks for the 2nd disc i put it in and when it gets to 15% installing pages i just get an error saying problem installing software, please try again. disc doesnt seem to be scratched at all. i'm in way over my head herre and have no idea where to start, really need some help

2. Chris3125 thread starter macrumors member

I called apple and they want £50 pound for new discs!

disc one is a different version than disc two? should they not be the same, disc one is version 1.0 and disc 2 is version 1.3?

please, i have this listed on ebay for sale with a fresh install and i'm screwed if i cant get this to install, really need some assistance

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Are those the disks that came with the computer? Did you buy it new? If so, then Apple should give you the correct versions of the OS. If you've really got two different disks from different versions of the software then there's no way you're going to be able to install it.

4. Chris3125 thread starter macrumors member

yes these are the original discs, i bought the computer new, and this is the first time i've used them. there is no visible scratches on the disc either

5. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Have you considered doing an absolutely minimal install (ie, one that doesn't require any of the programs from Disc 2)?

6. Chris3125 thread starter macrumors member

i tried that, restarted the installation, un checked all extra software drivers etc but it still reboots and asks for the second disc and continues to try to install keynote then pages :/

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

8. Chris3125 thread starter macrumors member

formatting using disc utility and managed to get a base installation, however this doesnt solve my initial problem? could the disc have corrupted? its never been out the packet, and seems perfectly fine?

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes, during manufacture.