OSX won't load

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Harrower, May 3, 2011.

1. Harrower macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm hoping someone can help me with my MacBook Pro. My wife was running Power Point on it for a few hours yesterday and ever since then, I can't get it to boot in OSX. It just hangs on the grey screen and keeps spinning. I've tried the following:

• Reset PRAM
    • Reset SMC
    • Ran Repair Disk (disk shows up okay)
    • Ran Repair Permissions (this always fails)
    • Tried to start in safe mode (doesn't work)
    • I did safe mode with a status and I get the following error: Vnode_validate_compressed_file_type4 error: -1
    • I tried reinstalling Snow Leopard, but it fails

Not sure what else to do. I have Windows XP on here and that loads fine. The closest Apple Store is like 70 miles away and i would rather not make the trip. I can start it up as an external drive via FireWire and everything appears to be fine. Of course I haven't done a backup recently and I don't want to wipe it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

try command+v when your mac starts up.

What text does it stop at (when it gets stuck)?

3. Harrower thread starter macrumors newbie

It keeps booting back in Windows. Can I do hold option to select the start up disk and then do it? When I just tried it was just spinning again. Should this load into Terminal?

4. Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

in Windows can you open up the bootcamp control panel and select your OS X drive as the main startup disk?

And yeah, command+v should put your mac into verbose startup so we can see text showing everything that happens while OS X loads.

5. Harrower thread starter macrumors newbie

That worked. Seems like the same thing I posted earlier:

vnode_validate_compressed_file_type4 error: -1

Also:

Disk0s2: I/O error.

There is a ton of text here. Not sure what all you need to see...

6. Hastings101, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

Hastings101 macrumors 68010

Hastings101

Not sure what's wrong then, especially if you tried to repair the disk through the disk utility and it was fine. That I/O error should have been corrected.

Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge than me will respond here because other than using disk utility via the OS X install dvd to repair the disk, the only other thing I can think of is to reformat the entire disk.

7. Harrower thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man. Appreciate the help. Hopefully someone else can save my bacon.