OSX won't read my mac formatted HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tarsierspectral, Jul 14, 2012.

1. tarsierspectral macrumors regular

Took my mac formatted HD, transferred some images to it. Took the HD to my mom's and her Mac won't read it. Tells me to initialize. Tried it on both Macs she has and no go. Strangely the Disk Utility tell me the drive is NTFS formatted. Is it just corrupted and I need to reformat it? Or is there a way to fix it. I mean there is nothing I need to save off of it, I just want to show her some pics, drove 1hr to show them to her :(
    Any ideas?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you may have accidentally formatted it as NTFS. Just reformat it. If you stored files on it, her Mac should still be able to read it, as Mac OS X can read NTFS natively... it just can't write to NTFS natively.
    Why not email the pics or use Dropbox to share them, instead of driving?

3. tarsierspectral thread starter macrumors regular

OK, I did not format the drive. I know what I did. I transferred the pictures, ejected the drive and came to my mom. I was coming to see my mom anyway, yes I can put it online and have her view it, that's not the point. I was hoping to look at pictures while I am here.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said, her Mac should be able to read the drive with no problems, as Mac OS X reads NTFS drives natively.

5. tarsierspectral thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I just tried it on another Mac running 10.6 and it's fine. I plug it into 10.5 machine and it asks me to initialize drive. Bizarre. I will just use it on the 10.6 machine. Never experienced it before.