Osx yosemite password required to delete files

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickj312, Nov 21, 2014.

1. nickj312 macrumors newbie

Every time I try to delete files, I have to enter in my password. This is very annoying. Is there any way to change this? Thanks in advance.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends on what files you're deleting. If you're deleting user files, it shouldn't ask for a password. If you're deleting system files, it should. Are you running a standard or admin account?

3. nickj312 thread starter macrumors newbie

I upgraded from Lion. Had to reformat and re install yosemite and create a new user. I then used an external drive to move all my old files onto my new user. (Had some problem when I upgraded to yosemite) It asks for a password for every file I try to delete. I am on the admin account.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

How exactly did you move the files over? That may have caused a permissions conflict depending on how you moved the files.

So if you just make a new document on the Desktop for example then try to delete it, you are asked form a password?

5. nickj312 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dragged it over from the External into my new profile. But you are right. If its a newly created document I can delete no problem

6. Giev macrumors member

My guess is that you have to enter your password becasue you are not the owner of the files. If your files are within a foder you can use change the owner with this command (run from terminal):

Code:
    sudo chown -R username directory 

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

What I meant was exactly what did you drag over. If you just dragged over all the user folders, it will create the permissions issues Giev mentioned. But, for example, if you just dragged the contents of Documents over to inside the Documents folder on your Mac, you would not have this issue.

Try this... do a command-r boot to recovery. The launch Terminal from the Utilities menu. Now type in resetpassword (all one word).

[​IMG]

You will get this screen. Select Macintosh HD then select your account in the dropdown list. Leave the passwords fields blank since we don't want to change that. Now click reset at the lower right. Then reboot and see if that helped.

8. nickj312 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info friend. I will try this when I get some time away from work. I made a file on the old profile and dragged it into the new profile I made. Into documents.

Do I restart first and hold ctrl r for recovery mode? then do the process described above?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... restart then hold both the command (not control) and r keys as it boots to get to the recovery screen.

10. nickj312 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. Thank you. I will let you know how it goes.