OSX86 or Virtualization?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adcx64, Apr 2, 2011.

1. adcx64, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Hi, I want to run Xcode on my PC, should i use OSX86 or Virtualbox? I will buy the OS X retail DVD tomorrow.
    Also, what do u think is the best virtualization software to run OS X on a PC?

My specs are:

C2D T5750 @ 2.0 GHz ( Does not have intel VT )
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    500GB Hard Drive
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    ( Dell Inspiron 1525 )

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Try to install it on real hardware (Mac or Hackintosh)! Xcode reads/writes hundreds of files and VMs slow it down.

OS X in a VM requires Vanderpool-Technology-Extensions.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just buy a Mac mini. That would be the easiest solution and wouldnt cost too much

I've run osx in a vmware session on a core i7 running at 3.6GHz and it's slow. I couldn't imagine trying to do Xcode on in a vmware session on a C2D machine

4. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

er, wait what?

unless i missed some recent revelation, isnt a hackintosh OS build required to run OSX on non-apple hardware, virtualized or not?

TS, you are aware that you cant just buy a retail boxed copy of OSX and install it to a non-apple PC, right? you need a hardware configuration that Apple has drivers for as well as a hacked OS build to overcome the substitution of EFI with a BIOS?

however, if you are aware of all of this just ignore me. im only making this assumption since you mentioned specifically that you're going to buy the retail dvd but didnt mention anything about downloading a hackintosh build.

i havent run a hackintosh system in a few years, but i'm sure this is still the case. if not, id be interested in knowing what's changed.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I haven't tried but doesn't Oracle's VirtualBox allow you to install OS X? And if anything, you would have to get "other" files but not necessarily a hacked/patch version of OS X.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Not necessarily. Some HP, Intel and Gigabyte boards can run an unmodified version of OS X (i.e. the retail version). Some OS X binaries are encrypted, which is the reason why a hackintosh requires a kernel extension to emulate the SMC.

More details on:
    http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/

Regarding VM-solutions:
    VMware Fusion v3.x.x supports Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.6.x Server (official suppport) and Mac OS X 10.5.x and 10.6.x Client (inofficial suppport). You can use either a retail disk, or a modified system specific disk. I’ve installed 10.4.4 (Intel iMac restore disc) thru 10.6.7 within VMware Fusion 3.x.x. However only 10.5.x and 10.6.x support shared folders.