OSX's Character Map

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kolax, Aug 2, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I'd assume most of you know about this already; but for those who don't then I'll show you how to get it.

In Windows XP, I used to use the character map all the time - to get certain letters or whatever. I never knew OSX had something similar (had never really looked into it in much detail) - I usually got the XP character map up from Parallel's and worked from there.

However, I did a search on Google to try and see if OSX had a character map similar to XP's (something browseable) I was happy to find out it did! And it is miles better than XP's too.

Click on System Preferences --> International. Then click on the Input Menu tab. Click the boxes shown in the picture below:

[​IMG]

This will bring up a flag on your menu bar (some won't like that) - and from there you can click on the flag and select Show Character Palette.

[​IMG]

Just thought I'd share that with you guys - help the newbies out who might be looking for this feature.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I know this is a bit of a long way to do this same thing. But in case you want to see the Character Palette or view the Keycaps you can find these programs buried in the System Library. You can then make Aliases to them to bring them up whenever, they're locations:
    Keyboard Viewer (keycaps)
    /System/Library/Components/KeyboardViewer.component/Contents/SharedSupport/KeyboardViewerServer.app

The Character Palette App should be in that same directory.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Is that the same keyboard viewer that is bought up by this widget

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

You can also summon the Character Palette at any time by using Command-Option-T.