Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chefwong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Anybody else have the G Drive Mobile.
Just got a couple of the 750's in....and it makes the weirdest noise ever.
I thought it was a bad HD initially, but when it seeks/read/write constant, the noise is fine. But when it does the *intial seek* that mobilizies the head, it makes a really LOUD noise - almost indicative of a bad hard drive.

But she formats fines, surface tests checks out, etc.

I've got 3 more I need to open but before I do, just curious if ya'll have seen similar results.

My current crop of Lacie Ruggeds are much lighter. Methinks I might go back to them. I use alot of G drives in our office....but mobile wise, were were all Lacies. I bought these cause they looked nice. They do seem heavier as well

emfsfo

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
I have four G-Drive Mobiles; two 500s, and two 750s. Both of my 750s are loud and make the noise you're talking about, while the 500GBs are much quieter. I've used the 750s quite heavily in the field, and I haven't had any issues as of yet.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Anybody else have the G Drive Mobile.
Just got a couple of the 750's in....and it makes the weirdest noise ever.
I thought it was a bad HD initially, but when it seeks/read/write constant, the noise is fine. But when it does the *intial seek* that mobilizies the head, it makes a really LOUD noise - almost indicative of a bad hard drive.

But she formats fines, surface tests checks out, etc.

I've got 3 more I need to open but before I do, just curious if ya'll have seen similar results.

My current crop of Lacie Ruggeds are much lighter. Methinks I might go back to them. I use alot of G drives in our office....but mobile wise, were were all Lacies. I bought these cause they looked nice. They do seem heavier as well

The problem with these is that your stuck with the drive they use. THe nature of these is to be able to swap the drive (iMacs are pathetic this way, and are a mistake IMO).

I suppose you could swap the drive in these but that's silly unless you get them cheap.

BTW, I just got the older version (the one that's more 'busy')

I took it apart to upgrade the drive and I'm really impressed by the quality. These are not cheap. They have a real heat sink that attaches to the drive by rails, and you couldn't make a drive better really, just very, very expensive quality for this sort of thing. I don't think the new ones are like this, but they must be very nice also.

Just saying (since the OP was OT ) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.