OT: IP Address. IMac hacked? Please Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mrogers, Jun 8, 2011.

1. mrogers, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

mrogers macrumors member

Can anybody tell me what kind of IP this is? 2002:47ee:6d6:0:129a:ddff

I was on my iMac and it was operating slowly so I was worried. Then I logged into my Gmail and it said that IP was logged into my account. Does that mean somebody managed to hack into my iMac. What kind of IP is that? Anything I can do to find out?

2. Netraider macrumors newbie

AFAIK that is an IPv6 IP address. It resolves to Comcast .net.

IP : 2002:47ee:6d6:0:129a:ddff:fe5a:dadc
    Host : c-71-238-6-214.hsd1.mi.comcast.net

I'm not sure if you are in the States or not, or whether Comcast is your ISP, but it could be you who is logged in....

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That IP is an IPv6 address.

This apple knowledge base article shows you how to check if your mac is setup for IPv6. The steps below show you how to turn it off but you can see if it is setup.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4667

I doubt your mac was hacked. It is possible that your gmail was hacked but it is also more than possible that you logged in from a computer that has IPv6 enabled.

4. mrogers thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. Yeah it was set to automatically so I turned it off. Was there a reason why it would show up as the IP address in my Gmail? It has never done that before. It usually just shows the actual IP address.

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is an actual IP address, it is IPv6 rather than the more widely known IPv4, that is why gmail showed you it.

If it were me I would change my gmail password as a precautionary measure as it is still possible that your gmail was hacked.

6. Netraider macrumors newbie

7. mrogers thread starter macrumors member

Done, Thank You!

When I went to go change the setting from Automatic to Off, that same long IPv6 address was assigned to iMac. So does that mean it WAS my device logged in?

I guess I was just curious, because I check my logs everyday, and that is the first time it has ever displayed an IPv6 address from this computer, and I have been using this computer for months. Is there something that triggered it or caused it to present the IPv6 this time in particular, rather than the usual 79.183 etc IP address?

thanks again for your help

8. mrogers thread starter macrumors member

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Yes

As it was set to switch automatically something in the decision process the computer uses made it switch, what the could be I don't know. Maybe something like the link Netraider posted.