OT: Non Mac - Budget Quad Clovertown

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chelsel, Jun 19, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

I was in the market for a mac pro but I was disappointed there was no update at WWDC... I will still get a Mac Pro sometime after it is inevitably updated... having said that, I was still in the market for a new workhorse... and this quad system met my needs perfectly (hardware raid, 2GB FB-DIMMs, E5310 quad core upgradeable with dual socket MB)... of course, this isn't a Mac... but for others that were drawn to the Mac Pro for its budget quad processing capabilities then take a look at this AMAZING Dell offer:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/pedge_sc1430?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

In case the offer is no longer available, it was a Quad Core Intel Xeon E5310 (Clovertown) 2x4MB Cache, 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GBx2 RAID-1 Hardware, crappy graphics, no firewire... for only $$$$$ 849.00+tax $$$$$$$

I purchased one for use as a VMWare server and file server system and to give myself a taste of quad power while I wait for a Mac Pro update.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this deal for others who might be in the market for a budget quad.

Cliff

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wow, that is a very good price. But, it is a very wimpy clovertown :p Nice find though. I would buy one if I... wanted a PC. It is quite stripped down though, it doesn't even come with a CD drive. But those can be bought later cheaply.

3. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

From the horses mouth

Check out page 6 of this PDF:

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/358131.htm

The chart clearly shows the 1.6GHz quad-core E5310 beating the dual-core xeon 5160 & 5150...

I grabbed the above PDF link from Intels processor comparison tool webpage at:

http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/345648.htm

Me thinks this indicates the Mac Pro line-up will go directly to Clovertown at the next update... and they'll probably keep the 4-core and 8-core but implement 4-core as a single chip...

Anyway... I will be enjoying this quad-core goodness (on Windows/Linux) until Apple updates the Mac Pro :)

Cliff.

4. brandon6684 Guest

Those are certainly some good prices if you need a server or a no frills workstation, though not that great as a desktop.

5. thagomizer macrumors 6502

The chart shows a quad-core 1.6GHz processor beating a single dual-core 3.0GHz processor on a multithreaded app. However, all the Mac Pros have double dual-core 2.0, 2.66, or 3.0 processors. (or, of course, the double-quad 3.0). The chart doesn't show these, but the results for dual dual-core will be similar to a quad at the same speed.

This is a multithreaded SPEC benchmark; it bears little resemblance to real-world performance on desktop applications. On any single or dual-threaded application, that quad-core 1.6 is going to be much slower than even a base model MacBook or iMac. Just wanted to point this out to anyone who might be thinking a Mac Pro is a bad deal -- it isn't.

But yes, the machine you describe will make a decent multi-user server, and you can't beat the price.

6. chelsel thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to further clarify and educate on the differences between Woodcrest (current Mac Pro) and Clovertown (the future).

These are PER chip comparisons... a single E5310 has 4 cores and is more powerful than a single 5150 or single 5160 which has 2 cores.

Also, the single thread performance of Clovertown (E5310) can not be directly compared with Woodcrest because Clovertown executes FOUR instructions per clock cycle vs. THREE on Woodcrest. This is a 30% increase in performance right there (never mind the 2x bigger cache)... 30% makes a 1.6GHz work like a 2.0GHz... and that is PER core.

Anyway, I think that Apple will do a better job convincing customers of the performance benefits... but only as soon as these chips appear in the Mac Pro :)