OT - SSD Awesomeness (SubForum Nostalgia)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tesselator, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

This might actually be OT for this forum but it soooo reminded me of a few recent discussions here...

LOL:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96dWOEa4Djs&NR=1

"Awesomeness" indeed! SSDx24=YeeeeeahBuddy! Too bad that it takes 24 of them to deliver what most fanboys here want us to think a single one is like but it's still very kewl to watch. The consumer-puff-nuevo mood it's done in had me on the floor!

-Enjoy!

PS: Make sure you have the YouTube player in HD mode.

EDIT: Added rapid screen flash captures from the end of the video:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Flaming Cheese Balls! :eek:

If you put those 4 MB images together and made a 90 minute movie (assuming 24 fps), it'd be half a TB!

3. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

5. Tesselator thread starter macrumors 601

Tesselator

I have one frame sequence that's about 100 minutes at 24FPS ND but mostly it's like many many 10 to 30 second ones. Yup, folders of sequences are large. :)

6. shroud macrumors member

That was awesomeness indeed! An SSD build like that looks like a lot of fun and my spare time has been growing this past month....hmmmm.

On second thought, I probably should wait until the money tree I planted in the backyard starts sprouting. :p I may get two SSD units and raid them though, why not.

7. Tesselator thread starter macrumors 601

Tesselator

Hell yeah! Do a review and get the drives on a review contract for free!

8. shroud macrumors member

That's a great idea Tesselator! Publicity on drives of that price can't be a bad thing right? I'll make some phone calls on Monday and see what I can make happen. :D

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

It's all great that some people get the chance to use those drives, never-mind twenty-four of them, meanwhile other consumers can't even get them from OEM stores. I tried to buy two and they're just not available.. well, if they are.. my supplier can't get them they say "distributors awaiting stock". What gives? :confused::rolleyes:

10. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Wow...good lord that is incredible. Talk bout speed!

11. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well... watch out for scratches where they were shaken in a promotional video :D Somehow I think those are going back onto the market.

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Time out!!

Hehe.. Good luck!!
    I think everyone else will get them before me.

Currently, I'm on vacation for the next six months or if i can, the rest of this year!! There's no work to be done from me... It's just loads of pampering in 4/5★ hotels, lovely sunshine, hours of bathing in various spa's, travelling around Japan, shooting a few snaps and gathering my thoughts.

Life is grand :D:D

Only companion I have is my camera and two year old MBP 2.2SR. Yeah it's probably slower than yours but it's a lovely peace of engineering... When it's not fighting for coolness:rolleyes:

13. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Life must be several hundred grand! I'm not going to ask what you do for a living, but whatever it is, I sure wish I had a job with the same description. :p I'm just a run-of-the-mill university student.

Back OT, I'm impressed at the video for sure, but less at the speed offered by volume of SSDs as I was at the card they were using - if I could just skip frames on YouTube, I might be able to find the RAID levl and how large of a cache they were using - they were using an ARC-1680-24, if the one frame I stopped on is correct. However, I remember reading in some other forums that the card is not for "enthusiest RAID zeros" with a cap of around 500 megs/second (not sure if B or b). So, maybe they were running it in a RAID-5 or something, I'll check the vid again... they also could have upgraded the DIMM on-card to something huge so their "write speed" was the interface with the on-card cache.

EDIT - 10 drives on an Areca 1680ix-24 card, 8 drives on an Adaptec S-series card and 6 to the motherboard... a skulltrail.

Did they really need a skulltrail to test throughput? Probably just to make sure they had no system hiccups, but still....

14. Tesselator thread starter macrumors 601

Tesselator

15. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

16. Tesselator thread starter macrumors 601

Tesselator

17. frimple macrumors 6502

Isn't there some famous quote about how everything in the internet is a re-post of a re-post?? :D

I want to know what controller they were using. Anyone??

18. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

I hate quoting myself. At the end of the video, hidden in singular frames on their final build. Probably.. A RAID-0 of RAID-0s?:confused:

19. frimple macrumors 6502

killer card :cool:

20. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

awesomeness.

now take that, mate it with snow leopard put like 50 cpus and 20 gfx cards and 40 screens (cough 30in screens)

21. Tesselator thread starter macrumors 601

Tesselator

I added those to the top post so everyone can see. But it's unclear if it's RAID0s of RAID0s or just RAID0s. If we assume that each of their $1200 256GB SSDs can achieve 250 MB/s then we actually only need 8 of them to get the 2 GB/s they were able to obtain.

250 MB/s X 8 = 2 GB/s (in single tier RAID0).

Under the right circumstances these drives can do 270 MB/s yet they say it took 9 SSDs to achieve 1 GB/s so... :)

22. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Maybe there were some inefficiencies that tech-dude couldn't wrap himself around - the calculations necessary for each SSD, combined with the use of multiple controllers, made for silly RAID - also, perhaps with a RAID of that size, things might become embarrassingly parallel IMO, and smaller block sizes could increase overhead. Maybe we're seeing built-in inefficiencies in each separate controller:confused:

23. Tesselator thread starter macrumors 601

Tesselator

Could be. He said he was only getting 800 MB/s out of one of the controller. But that controller I'm sure is using Port Multiplying X4 so it's actually a totally crappy card if you seek high performance. You can see it here:

[​IMG]

Notice how only 6 connectors are used to connect 24 drives. :( Under such a configuration you're going to lose about 65% I think - as each physical connection on the board I think can only support about 350 to 370 MB/s. So you've got all of one drive, 100 MB/s of another and all the rest are waiting in contention (per connector). (it's probably an evenly distributed contention across all drives but just for the sake of imagery - you know... :))

I guess anyway - I didn't read the specs on that card.