OTA Charging soon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cjandnw, Mar 27, 2009.

1. cjandnw macrumors 6502

I just recieved the following email. Seriously?

The past few months we've been working really, really hard on the development of our iPhone app WebJuice.

The new app allows you to charge your phone without any cables using a mobile internet connection.

We will be launching soon but wanted to give you a sneak preview of the app and what it can do... So... we proudly present:

WEBJUICE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEdDsgWgP2E

If you want us to notify you when the application is ready for download, please leave your e-mail address HERE.

Best regards,
    The Nakko Labs team

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I don't see how this can even possibly work...in any device.

I mean, you can't transfer energy through air can you?

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Wireless power.

Yeah, we can't do it yet, and it won't be possible for another seven years or so.

ANY IDIOT CLAIMING THIS IS POSSIBLE WITH SOFTWARE deserves jail. Especially if they're selling it.

4. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

5. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

This technology is advancing all the time.

Yeah as you said, this technology won't be possible for many years to come. I think the app developer really just doesn't know what he is doing.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, it's possible now. The Palm Pre is going to have it.

The drawback is that the device still has to be in contact with the charger. Imagine setting your iPhone down on a DVD case. It's a lot like that.

So I don't know if I'd call that "over the air" but it sure as heck counts as "wireless."

EDIT: I think this pretty much says it all:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TvhyCmnTb0&feature=channel_page

7. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

Seems to be a pre-April fool's day prank

i wonder if the app will be out on the 1st?

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So it's not wireless. That's called induction charging.

Wireless power is its own thing; they've only made it to enough to power a laptop from three feet away right now, I believe.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So it's a form of charing that uses no wires, but it's not wireless charging. That's a totally different thing.

You're going to have to complain to whoever named all this stuff then, because it sounds like they were high or something.

10. theevilone macrumors member

If and when it ends up in the app store, I will give it a try. 30 yrs ago their were no thought of personal computers, email and wireless. I had a typewriter.

11. 1Zach1 macrumors 65816

1Zach1

Yes you can.

It's the difference between "Over the Air" and "Wireless". In "Wireless" charging you still are limited to where you can charge the device because it needs to be placed on the conductor base (which has wires). "Over the air" has a base station and so long as the device is within a certain distance it will be charged. At least that's how I understand the difference.

12. Resist macrumors 68030

My electric toothbrush has been able to to do this for 15 years nows, so it is not new technology.

13. Geniusdog254 macrumors regular

Yes. It's called static electricity, it is also known as lightning when it is more powerful ;)

However on a serious note. There is no way that is possible. There are ways to transmit power OTA but in order for it to be done safely the person has to be grounded and it is just a toy. It uses a giant tesla coil which radiates (wrong word?) electricity out and a person in chain male (sp?) that is grounded holds up a flourescent light which then lights up. Anything powerful enough to charge anything would likely give you a serious jolt if you got in the path of it. YMMV

14. Tres macrumors regular

There is no way this will work. This is just a (dumb) prank.

15. Steve686 macrumors 68020

Steve686

I believe the military has wirelessly delivered power over a laser light beam, which in turn did power a device from thousands of feet away.

16. MDMac macrumors regular

MDMac

This guy doesn't even show the bottom of the iPhone. He could have just popped the cable right in. Boringgg.

17. iPave macrumors member

iPave

15 years without changing a toothbrush?

18. sparkyms macrumors 65816

You can change the heads of electric toothbrushes.

19. Resist macrumors 68030

It's called conductive charging and again this technology has been around and in products for decades.

And not 15 years without charging my electric toothbrush. What I meant was that my electric toothbrush can be charged without plugging the toothbrush into the charger, it just sits next to the unit and will charge up. But the charger itself is plugged into an outlet.