iPhone OTA or clean restore for beta 5?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by NickyLanzz, Aug 6, 2013.

1. NickyLanzz macrumors regular

I wanted to get an idea of what people did for beta 5, a simple OTA or clean restore. I know I know I know apple and most recommend a clean restore for every beta/update, but I want to know if it is REALLY needed. I did it for beta 4, I would like to be able to hold off on one until GM. If it is best to do so now though I will. Wanted to get some opinions, thanks!

--Nick

2. pottyvick macrumors regular

Do the ota, if you have issues, try full restore...

3. NickyLanzz thread starter macrumors regular

That is what I was thinking as well. I never really experienced issues in the past doing OTA for betas 1-3, but beta 4 I decided to give it a clean restore. I will probably hold off now until GM.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I always do an OTA at work just to check out the new version but do a clean restore when I get home.

5. NickyLanzz thread starter macrumors regular

It does not bother you guys that you loose everything? I know apps is not a problem, but everything else. I am just asking as a question, not saying it in dispute and what not.

6. cartman61616 macrumors newbie

I feel the same. I don't mind doing the restore from a back up but I have a real hard time going to a completely fresh install.

7. jcdm macrumors member

2-3-4-5 OTA no problems here... for GM a clean install and reinstall :)

8. pottyvick macrumors regular

I dont usually mind.. my pics are backed up to dropbox and i dont play many games (so save game data isnt important)...

9. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Normally I am not one to complain about threads, but there are already several of themdiscussing the same issue (just with beta 1, 2, 3 or 4 instead of 5). There is nothing added in Beta 5 known to us that will make this discussion any different than the previous ones, and there is really no one here that is a full expert one Beta 5 to know if there is actually any difference. Some people will say OTA Works fine, other full restore, other will say OTA but reset setting (my personal preference), etc.

Nothing definitive will ever come out of this threads, and they are just rehashing the same old discussion, that has been had several times for each previous beta.

10. cartman61616 macrumors newbie

It is the pictures for me mostly but I don't have them backed up in a dropbox.