OTA update blocking in iOS8.x.x

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by iRoRo, Dec 13, 2014.

1. iRoRo macrumors regular

iRoRo

Is there any way to block OTA updates through my router without Jailbreaking?

I have previously searched through the forum only to find OTA blocking for iOS6 and 7. So I tried the two options available:

I updated my router settings using the iOS7 method to exclude mesu.apple.com which didn't work, so reverted router back to normal.

I then tried (seperately) appldnld.apple.com and that also did not work.

Have the settings changed for iOS8.x.x, if so, can anyone point me to the correct settings?

After my ordeal with iOS8.1 to iOS8.1.1 I do not wish to OTA update ever again!

I'd rather do that through iTunes when I decide to, instead of apple borking my phone OTA.
    Surely an informative pop up something along the lines of:

An iOS update is available to iOS 8.x.x
    Do you wish to download and upgrade?
    Yes
    Remind me later (postponing OTA update and download)
    Dismiss for iTunes update (no more reminders or download)

Surely this seems quite sensible to have options..

At the moment I do not use wifi due to being forced to update to iOS8.1.2 which I do not want to do!

2. louisebelcher macrumors newbie

louisebelcher

Um... they don't install without you confirming the install. :confused::confused::confused:

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup. It might download on its own (which can be deleted too), but won't install on its own.

4. iRoRo thread starter macrumors regular

iRoRo

Yup, it downloads on it's own but, I just wish to stop it from downloading onto my device without my consent,
    hence the word BLOCKING in the title. :rolleyes:

5. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

Is it my imagination, or I thought that Apple added the feature in 7.1 to block the update since a lot of people didn't want to update from iOS 6 and were complaining that the download was taking up space. Or was it just the option to delete the update after download?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Just the option to delete after downloading.