OTA Updates?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carebearsx3, Jun 5, 2010.

1. carebearsx3 macrumors regular

Anyone else really hoping for this? I mean, even if not on 3G/Edge, Wi-Fi may be more than sufficient.

Got comments? Post 'em below! :D

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I thought about this today, how that would be a cool feature.

the only problem I see with OTA updates is that how is iTunes going to back up my iPhone before applying the new OS. also, this would have to be OTA on WiFi, otherwise my phone will be useless for hours wile I download the update over AT&T's 3G network (and don't forget the new data plan caps of 200mb or 2gb)

3. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I would love it, if the iPhone was OTA capable. This is another thing that I miss from my Blackberry user days.

4. carebearsx3 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, if they do have that free MobileMe service, including iTunes Cloud, and all, back-ups may not be much of a problem. Only time will tell, I suppose.

5. cobie454 macrumors regular

cobie454

I agree, the OTA update feature would be nice, maybe this is a surprise that Apple has in store for Monday, i doubt it though, wishful thinking nevertheless

6. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

Steve kind of mentioned it during D8. I'm sure they'll come out with it at some point once they have it working well and easily for the average user.

7. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

I really couldn't care less. I mean, how often do they update their iPhone OS? It's not like it's a weekly or even a monthly thing.

8. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

It would be nice, it would be another one of those features that the iphone is missing but, blackberry and android already have. I see no reason why this wouldn't be possible(besides the new data caps...)

9. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

What happens with OTA updates if you don't want to do it?
    I don't know how it works on Android.

10. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

This is true. I remember when I was using the Blackberry Bold 9000, I did 3 OS updates in one month, in order to fix an issue that was a result of the last update, lol. However, it was still nice to have the option to do the updates OTA, and it was much faster than it would have been via the computer.

11. masterlimp macrumors member

This.

It would really make jailbreaking difficult (although I assume jailbreakers could figure out a way to prevent them).

12. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Yes the new plans will be a factor in this too.