OTB Smell Reports Please

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brise, Oct 15, 2008.

1. brise macrumors newbie

Can owners of new late 2008 MB and MBP please post about any odors detected when first unboxing the new toys and after they reach operating temps?

I had a MBP for a few days a few months ago and returned it due to the stink it produced when warm.

With all the hype about the late 2008 units being green and non-toxic -- is the OTB new Mac smell any different than previous models?

2. Aztec macrumors regular

Maybe I'm wrong, but don't all electronics smell pretty strong when new? The smell eventually dies down.

3. brise thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes sometimes it fades or changes but sometimes gets worse as materials decay. There was an under keyboard label on some old Mac portables that develops a gym locker smell after a year or two.

Apple is releasing all sorts of green hype about these new models being non-toxic. Does that translate into fewer headache and eye burning smells?

YMMV. Age and general health status will influence your enjoyment of or avoidance of things like new car smells and new computer smells.

It can take some 12 - 18 months of 'burn in' to reduce odors on older Mac portables.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

I smell a troll. :rolleyes:

5. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

6. ohemetophobia macrumors member

Same here. Nothing like the smell of freshly-spent cold hard cash. :)

7. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Me too! I wish they sold it in a spray bottle!