other 80GB in macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ecekin, May 2, 2012.

1. ecekin macrumors newbie

Please help... I tried daisydisk but doesn't show me where the hell the 80GB other is coming from.. I have not enough space to even backup my Iphone

2. Redbull916 macrumors member

Redbull916

Try and plug in an external drive then do a time machine backup.
    I'm pretty sure that time machine creates a backup on your drive on your drive until it manages to offload it to an external drive. once done it will remove it from you air and give you back the space.

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Other just means any files that don't fall under the extremely generic tags of Movies, Music, Apps, Photos, Backup.

So any application data, any games or apps that didn't come from the app store. I pretty sure system and swap files are also Other. It's a really deceitful tag. It works on an iPhone because you shouldn't have a lot of Other (unless an app is producing massive amounts of data) but on a PC....its basically everyone on your computer!

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

5. dannywalls76 macrumors newbie

I had this problem when I first got my MBA. If Time Machine backs up locally it shows up in About This Mac>Storage as Backups and not Other.

6. ecekin thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried it doesn't work.. anybody has other suggestions?? I used daisydisk which also didn't help. The huge other file of 80GB size is a mystery

7. razmarino macrumors member

razmarino

i have some movies in .mkv and .m4v format and mba doesnt count them like 'video', they are in 'other'..