Other data iPhone - iTunes

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by tomi03, Jan 23, 2017.

1. tomi03 macrumors regular

tomi03

Hi everyone!

loldata.png

How can I delete the data called "other" on my iPhone? I've tried different programs like phoneclean, and iTunes, still with no luck.

Thanks

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You can't. "Other" is system cache and system files. There will always be some 'other'. Even on a clean install there will be about 1GB of 'other'. I typically only have between 1.5GB-2GB and it never really grows beyond that.

3. tomi03 thread starter macrumors regular

tomi03

A few days ago the data called "other" wasn't there. Why?

4. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Maybe you've downloaded some apps that created that content? Could also be iBooks or pretty much any other app that writes data e.g.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

iTunes has been known to combine it with documents and data. It's always been there, but it was green and not yellow.

6. tomi03 thread starter macrumors regular

tomi03

Yes, but still is a lot.

How can I make it green again?

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

You can't. Its how iTunes wants to report it. Sometimes iTunes updates change it. So if you noticed it after 12.5.5, thats probably why.

8. cynics macrumors G4

Just imagine it is green. iTunes is just giving you an approximation of what is using your storage. Once the phone is full it was start purging cached app data to make room however it appears you are LONG way from that happening. This is something that is better off not worried about until its a problem.

BTW I've seen mine report 10+gb of 'other'.

9. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Similar to Mac OS X , iOS "other" includes some system files, memory cache files and more. They can be removed if you are jailbroken, but iTunes sometimes report it, while other times not.
    As other members suggest, ignore that, especially you are using a 128GB device.