"Other" disk usage issue unsolved...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pliundemix, May 13, 2010.

1. pliundemix macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to the forums and I started here because I have a big issue.

Many of you may have heard that when syncing iPhone (jailbroken) to iTunes you get a bunch of space marked by iTunes as "Other"...

Well I've looked everywhere but many people just say stupid things...but lately I found some "solutions"....

In this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9891160#post9891160 Member betyar gives a solution to deleting this space called "Other" (which by the way everytime I sync my iPhone grows bigger and bigger). His solution was:

"The absolute easiest way to do this is using iFuntastic's 'File Manager'... Follow this path:

/private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music/

You will see a bunch of numbered folders. Delete all of them, reboot your device and re-sync with iTunes. DO NOT RESTORE YOUR DEVICE!

Voila, the growing "other" and disappearing iTunes library bug solved - without a restore.

Hope that helps."

When I re-synced my iPhone the "Other" space was GONE!! and all my music, photos and apps showed up in iTunes occupying their normal space. But when I went into my iPhone and tried to play a song it just kicked me back to the song list...the songs and everything showed up but didn't play!!!

Please help I'm really desperate and I cannot Restore my iPhone cause I'll loos e my JB and the unlock....

Sorry for the long threaf but I had to be as specific as possible!:)

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Try this:

Uncheck the box for ringtones, music, and photos to sync in iTunes. Then check the box for ringtones and click apply to sync. IIRC, you'll get a message that media will be erased. Go ahead and sync. All the music and photos will be gone. Now go back to iTunes and check music and photos to sync. Sync. The music and photos will be back. See if that fixes everything. The problem with the other is that you get a corrupt directory in your iPhone, which was what the other poster was trying to fix by his "solution."

3. pliundemix thread starter macrumors newbie

Nahhh "other" is still the same...the only thing that has kinda worked for me was the method I mentioned earlier..."Other" was completely gone. But even tough my music still showed up in my iPhone Librery it couldn't be played....If I could just figure out the way to do this.....

For your method...I don't have the latest iTunes version 9.1.1. Is it necessary to update? And also when you told me to uncheck ringtones, music and photos...both ringtones and photos were already unchecked...I don't know if this has anything to do...please help!!

P.S: Also when I delete music and photos.."other" grows about a 100mb, but when I sync music and photos back other gets reduced again...what is this????