Other iPod Media Event?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pchipchip, Oct 14, 2011.

1. pchipchip macrumors regular

Ok so I was thinking about how the iPod Touch "upgrade" was kinda weak on Apple's part and I thought that maybe the people at Apple might have held out a little bit on the Lets Talk iPhone Keynote. There are 2 reasons that I can think of:
    1. They wanted people to buy the iPhone 4S first because the iPhone is their major money-making product.
    2. They knew that Steve Jobs was in poor condition and they modified the Keynote because they were unsure how much longer he would live.
    It is just a theory so don't get mad or anything but let me know what you think about it.
    R.I.P. Steve Jobs

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If they were going to have another event for the iPods then they wouldn't have had the touch and nano announcements at the event last week, regardless of how minor those updates were. If they announce a white model (which has since been released), and a lot of people buy that, there'd be a lot of very angry customers if they just happened to go and do a more substantial upgrade not long after.

3. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Nope, the Touch updates are now every other year.

4. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

How do you know that?

5. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Sorry pchipchip, there is not going to be a new iPod Touch (in the next few weeks) beyond what was announced at the iPhone event.

You received some excellent advice in the iPod Touch 4G or wait? thread. But perhaps you are suffering a slight case of "paralysis by analysis".

You've got two excellent options available to you at this time... purchase an iPod Touch 4G or a comparable capacity iPhone 4. A few of us have recommended a Verizon iPhone 4 w/bad ESN. Now that iOS 5 allows Facetime on that device, that iPhone 4 can do everything that an iPod Touch can, only better.

It is highly unlikely, IMO, that there will be a new iPod Touch (I've been saying for months that there would be no upgrade this year) any time in the near future if at all.

You can be on the "perpetually waiting treadmill" if you'd like, but the longer you are, the more you have to ask yourself how much do you really need/want an iPod device?

6. pchipchip thread starter macrumors regular

I know. I already bought an iPod Touch 4G. It was just a thought that I wanted to share

7. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

I don't what apple is thinking its supposed to be the "number 1 portable gaming device" no a5 no 512mb ram. Pathetic apple

8. mattg3 macrumors 6502

Pathetic indeed.Im going to wait it out using my icowen device until Apple makes some Ipod touch moves.Damn, i want Siri talking to me from my touch.Im sure someday it will be available.

9. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Apple cares more about there stupid iPhone that I will never get because I am forced to get a two year contract that is expensive with a pathetic small cap and there iPad which is too big and I can't carry it around in my pocket. Don't they relize that people like the touch because it is small and has no contract.

Let them keep milking the suckers with the iPhone and iPad. I too am kind of annoying that there is no new touch. I am sticking with my 3rd Gen Touch which still works great.

10. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

As I mentioned earlier, an iPhone 4 w/bad ESN is simply a glorified iPod Touch... No contract. With a little patience you can find a like-new one for the same price as a Touch.

11. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

If only stores sold it, the rarity and the difficulty to find a good one leads people to just get an iPod touch. 5MP camera is the most appealing feature of an iPhone4 bad esn.

There is a drawback though, by jailbreaking iPhones, one has to deal with basebands whereas iPod touches only require the firmware to match the jailbreak.

12. tonyr6 macrumors 65816

tonyr6

Correct. The rareity to find one. Most who don't want a phone would get a touch anyway. I still might buy the current touch because it does have the same chip as the iPhone 4.

13. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

True. If my iPod Touch had the iPhone 4 camera, I'd have no interest in an iPhone 4.