Other Marketplaces?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by techlover828, Jun 23, 2009.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

any other marketplaces you guys go for apple gear, or electronics in general? other forums? thanks!

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

ArsTechnica, HardForum, Craigslist...I've scored a number of deals on Craigslist lately

Rev B. MacBook Air 1.6Ghz, 120GB HDD - $700
    Octo 2.8Ghz Mac Pro, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 8800GT+23" ACD - $1900
    Quad 2.66Ghz Mac Pro (2006), 8800GT, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD+23" ACD - $1000

Not sure why people sell stuff so cheap, but that seems to be the place to look. Ars is a very good site for marketplace stuff. They also use Beerology and the number of scams there seem far less than MR lately. HardForums has new FS threads every few seconds, it's insane how quickly things move there.

4. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Which Craigslist market is this? (location-wise)
    Here in the bay area, everything's overpriced.

5. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Is that second mac pro the one you just relisted on this marketplace? If so, what a mark up! $1000 to $1700!

6. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Those are ridiculous prices, especially if you found them on the DC CL, people overprice stuff like crazy. When I lived in NYC I found a lot more reasonable deals on CL, and some crazy deals like you found.

Edit: Damn, I just saw that Mac Pro on the DC CL, did you really find Apple gear that cheap around here?

7. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Yup, the DC CL is nuts. I had to drive out to Virginia to get the Mac Pros. The MacBook Air was two metro stops away from work. Again, I don't know what the hell people are thinking on there. I gave the MBA to my girlfriend, kept the 2.8 MP for myself, and am selling the other Mac Pro as mentioned (the display is already spoken for for now). I also picked up 2 24" LEDs on CL for $500 each recently.

But you see why I was willing to take the chance for a trade for a 17" uMBP. I paid $1000 for the package, and it would have been a $1500 discount for ME even though the worth of the package is anywhere from $2000-2500.

8. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Damn, I definitely have to make it more of a routine to check CL for deals. I'm out in western MD so Northern VA can be a bit of a hassle but I'm close enough that Baltimore is viable too. After seeing your post I looked through the listings and I found a 2.4 C2D MacBook for 600 and a 2.53 Unibody MBP for 1150 (not the new model, the original, with 512 video ram), I'm kinda thinking about upgrading now, though I might wait til it's closer to school starting back up, prices can only go down.

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

You still have to be careful. A lot of MacBook deals turn out to be bogus, but a lot are legit too. Just use common sense.

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

For sure, I've used CL enough that I can usually pick out the scams before I even respond.

I hate those bogus companies that spam CL with ridiculously low-priced stuff and then just have their link on the page, and a foriegn telephone number... but I guess they work cause they keep coming back...

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Shouldn't this be in "Community Discussion"? As it's not really a sale thread :confused:

12. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yeah. Those are so annoying, because I don't want to limit down on the location, but I don't exactly want my whole search page filled with those either.
    I feel pretty sorry for people who get scammed like that.
    Eh....
    Yeah, I guess you are right.

13. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

[H]ardforum is actually great for components and other things

I'd also like to recomend Mac Lister, great place to by and sell