"Other" memory usage, Iphone 4, iOS6.1, Jailbroke

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by haayyeess, May 3, 2014.

1. haayyeess, May 3, 2014
    Last edited: May 3, 2014

haayyeess macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I've been delaying this serious problem for forever due to the lack to time, and apparent lack of solution to my problem. Several months ago I first noticed the oddly large size of my "other" used memory on my Iphone 4 when in ITunes. Today I have less than 2 gigabytes left of memory on my 32 gigabyte phone. Want to take a wild guess of how much memory is being abruptly consumed by the dreadful other data? A whopping 17.32 Gigabytes!

It keeps continuing to grow like a parasite within my phone, and i'm getting concerned cause i've been solution-less! I know restoring my Iphone is a solution, but without a Jailbreak for IOS 7.1.1, it's not do able. I am unable to just "erase all settings" as that would send my cracked device into a endless boot loop. I have tried PhoneClean by IMobie, and a similar software on Cydia with no meaningful reductions.

I'm getting desperate, my Iphone is a necessity in my fast passing life, and I would hate to have to just restore it, and lose everything I have without being able to re-jailbreak it. I know the memory is likely to be taken up by caches, but I can't find any significant source or way of deleting them.

Does anyone have a solution? Any thoughts?

Any support would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

2. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It is possible that the jailbreak is a factor in this. You might little choice on that one

But you could google for one of those phone clean programs and see it it turns up.

3. haayyeess thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah... Trust me, I've been there done that. No valid solution.

4. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Clear out Message attachments:

/var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/*

/var/mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.MobileSMS/ExtendedPreviews/Attachments/*

5. haayyeess thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, no luck, didn't even gain 100 Mb

6. kalirob99 macrumors 68000

kalirob99

Always been curious where all that is. Unfortunately these permanently deletes all pics in SMS/MMS convos.

7. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Clear cookies and history from safari? Have you tried icleanerpro?

8. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

are you downloading anything to your device? or using any sort of downloading tweaks or cydia apps that can cache files?

for example, protube

and if you're downloading something and it fails midway, that will take up space and it'll be considered as other

same with torrents, whether you finish downloading the file or not, it will still take up space

purchase "disk pie" from cydia, only $1.99, but it's a GREAT app to find out what is taking up all your space! Worth every penny in my opinion

edit: i'm not sure if it works for iOS 6.x

9. haayyeess thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but you could always save them into your photo's if you wanted to save them.

I don't often use safari, but yes I have tried this. I've tried ICleanerPro, it does work to remove a minimal amount of useless memory taking caches, but it never removes anything significant to help my lost case.

No, I am not using my device to download anything, but I have before and have previously deleted all of its caches post removing it from my device, plus i've restored and updated my Iphone and Jailbreak since then. I may have a Cydia Tweak caching files, but if so, I haven't been able to find it in my searches.
    I'll look into that app.

Thanks for the responses and support guys!

10. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Yes, and that is a good thing.

1) iOS gives no way to empty this "cache", and it will fill up your device eventually.

2) You should be manually saving any and all pictures and videos you want from Messages.

11. haayyeess, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: May 10, 2014

haayyeess thread starter macrumors newbie

It works, I have found something taking up a whole 9 GB in tons of small caches, problem is they're hidden in Ifile... How can I work around this? I'm assuming anyways as I can not find them, and unfortunately I can not open the link from one into Ifile...

Edit:
    Never mind, I found out how to display these hidden files. They're not in a folder though and instead in with necessary files... Is there any way to select and delete multiple files without individually selecting each and every one?

12. haayyeess thread starter macrumors newbie

Edit 2: Thanks a ton to everyone. I appreciate all the help and suggestions, but by far the most helpful was darricksailo! Disk Pie allowed me to quickly navigate to the problem and delete the unnecessary files. I now have 19.67 GB of free space again and only 1.57 GB of other, completely flip-flopped the values. Thanks again for the support guys.

13. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

what was taking up so much "other" space? meaning what were the caches associated with

14. haayyeess thread starter macrumors newbie

Good question.

Both major issues were connected to security related tweaks (Igotya and ICaughtU Pro). I had installed IGotYa just to test it out awhile back and it created a bunch of caches. Since I had deleted it the cache amount didn't grow any bigger, yet remained on my hard drive after deletion, likely the start to the problem. I deleted them prior to installing Disk Pie because I knew the folder belonging to the program was unnecessary seeing as I no longer possessed it. I noticed a significant increase of memory after doing so, about six Gigabytes.

At this point I assumed I Caught U was the other problem but was unable to find the files through IFile. Now I still use ICaughtU Pro, a program I use mainly as an up-ed security source from just Apple's security. One of my main uses is the location services (find my iPhone) I no longer have access to still being a part of IOS 6. Thanks to Disk Pie, I was able to prove the problem was indeed this program, tracing it further down to it's caches. After having the directory to the cache and following it through on IFile I was able to determine they were hidden. I searched around on Ifile to turn on "Show hidden files".

After doing so I went back to the directory and stared at my screen in shock. It had tons on caches! The biggest cache was only a mere 6 Mb, and their total was engulfing a whopping 9 GB. I knew it would be way to tedious to delete every cache one by one, but since they were mixed in with necessary files, I couldn't just delete a folder. In order to solve the problem I opened Cydia and uninstalled ICaughtU Pro. Then I returned to Ifile, and deleted the folder created by ICaughU Pro in the stash. After several minutes of an apparent freeze, my system resumed and gained a significant amount of memory. I rebooted my device and re-installed the program.

I would have to assume both of these programs are both poorly programmed. They store unnecessary temp files for a unreasonable amount of time, and as far as i'm aware, they're never automatically deleted. To this moment, I still don't even know what these temp files were or why they were created. Now of course, throughout this process I backed up, and rebooted my device several times to ensure no problems arouse. I'll have to make this a regular process to revive my device from stolen memory.

Hopefully anyone with a similar problem finds this of use.

Thanks again Guys!

15. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I was about to give up my jailbreak and do a full restore to rid myself of the 17 GB of "OTHER" I had until I read this thread. I had used iTunes to remove all my music from my iPhone. The files were never fully removed though. So glad I found this thread. DiskPie worked like a charm.

16. haayyeess thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! I'm glad I created this posting, as I knew I wasn't alone and online solutions were scarce..

17. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

DiskPie was just recently released, that's probably why solutions were scarce. It was released 2-3 weeks ago

18. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Can you delete the files right from DiskPie? I used iFike to remove the files and just used DiskPie as the "roadmap" to find the bad files.

19. haayyeess thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, well it is an awesome tool. Big props to it's creator, very useful.

That I know of, no... I beleive it suppose to be more of a "roadmap" kind of an application. I myself used IFile to trace down and delete the problem files.

20. HasoMujo macrumors regular

Hi all,

You might check the tread I started months ago with similar (same?) problem:

"Advice needed - how to get rid of huge 16 GB "Other" after iOS 7.0.4 + JB"

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1699354

21. haayyeess thread starter macrumors newbie

Read the forum before posting, please... The problem has been solved, and solutions have been shared.