Other Monitors besides Dell & Apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sikkinixx, Apr 18, 2007.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I just sold off my 19" Viewsonic because I need something a little bit bigger. I am probably going to get a 20" Widescreen (makes a lot of difference over a 19" 4:3).

I really want an Apple 20" but the lowest price I have seen is $599cdn which is damn near $700 after taxes....Ow. Even my edu discount brings it to $649.99 :( I found a few used on craigslist, normally around $500-600 but I hesitate to buy used.

I was then thinking of the Ultrasharp 2007WFP since they are $379.99 cdn and offer more connectivity than the Apple and have an adjustable stand which is badass. But....yeah after reading about the S-IPS vs S-PVA stuff, and after a call to Dell to talk to them about it, and the person on customer care having zero (0) idea of what I am talking about....I dunno... I hesitate to buy from them. The online thing bugs me because if it has dead pixels/I don't like it, I gotta pay to ship it back. I would much prefer to buy it in store.

So, I am open to looking at different brands of monitors. I do some gaming (HL2, some other FPS's) and all the usual stuff although more recently I am getting into some photo work (which is why I want the S-IPS panel) but overall the monitor is just general use. 20"+ is a must since for my schoolwork I always have so many damn windows open it would be nice to have a few on the screen at once for a change.

2. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

samsung, HP... (at least i know they make 30"s)

3. anthony113 macrumors member

my roommate has a 24" samsung and it looks great

4. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Yeah I am thinking of a Samsung. I have an LCD tv of theirs and I love it.

5. APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

I really like the Samsung 225BW 22" monitor I bought a few months ago. Very nice image. 1680 X 1050 max resolution looks great. Adjustable height, too.

6. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Yeah get a samsung. I have a 19" ws samsung and its an excellent lcd! You could also just get the 205BW which is the last years model i think, and now its cheaper.

8. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I am thinking about it!

Read a lot of people have problems with backlight bleeding and the stands suck with the Samsungs :( Problems seem to disappear with the bigger models but frankly I don't wanna spend $750+ on a monitor!

I was 99% going for the Dell before I started reading about them, now I am all upside down on the whole affair! Ignorance is bliss :D

9. samfeldman macrumors newbie

samfeldman

Dell direct store?

Do you have a dell direct store in your area? Go and check out the monitors, if you can. I just went to the store in Phoenix, AZ and enjoyed checking out both monitors, Apple 23" and Dell 24", because the mall has both a Dell and Apple store. I'll tell ya, the Dell is nice. The adjustable stand really could make a difference. I read more about the "Dell LCD lottery" and I'm not convinced it makes a big difference.

I do video editing for an educational tv station, and we use a MacPro and two 23" apple cinema displays. I am also about the buy a MBP and ACD. I love the quality, color and design, but if you don't have the money, go for the Dell or other versions. The only reason we purchased the ACDs is because we got a killer deal. I am purchasing the ACD for myself, honestly, just because I can.

Check out all the brands -- unless there are major problems, don't get too worked up over what type of LCD you have and what people online say about it. It's a beautiful piece of technology, no matter who made it. The best way to improve visual performance is to make your environment appropriate -- lighting, cleaning, quality of computer supplying the monitor, positioning, etc.

Just don't hurt yourself too bad worrying about the too-detailed tech specs, go with a good price and a solid piece of equipment.

Hope that helps -- sorry for the mini-rant.

10. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^ much appreciated :D

I don't think we have Dell Direct stores here in Canada yet but I just found out from a friend that my university store stocks some Dell monitors so I will go check them out tomorrow. They also have the :apple: ones so I can take a boo at them too.

I am really tempted to just wait a bit and save some money, use my old 17" CRT for a bit, considering until I get my new mac it is just being used on a crappy old PC anyway and that way my gf/parents get off my back about having to use my G3 iMac to check their email with :p

I'm sure the Dell or most other monitors would suit my needs, but it's just knowing that I could have better for only a bit more money that eats me up. Just like when I bought a 1.83ghz macbook and then kicked myself later for cheaping out on the 2ghz model since I needed the Superdrive a few times and the HDD space more than a few times. I think I might just buy the :apple: display in a while and be guaranteed a good monitor.

11. cubbie5150 macrumors 6502a

If you have the $$, you can't go wrong w/ Eizo or NEC...you get what you pay for.... If on a budget, I just think Dell is very hard to beat.

12. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I second the recommendation for NEC.

Apple ACDs are actually very good value for what you pay actually. In terms of professional monitor pricing the ACDs really are the cheapest monitors you can get.

13. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I ended up getting a Gateway LCD for Christmas. The 19" widescreen model.

I was looking at getting a Dell, but at the kiosk at the mall and the ones I've used at school, I just could never get used to the sharpness of the Dell monitors. I don't know. I try explaining it to my friends, and they never noticed. For some reason, text always looked to soft on the different Dell monitors I've used, no matter how I adjusted the settings.

I think it's that I just prefer a REALLY sharp image when displaying text. If a few jaggies show up, I'm okay. I just hate a soft "glow" on text. The Gateway seems to get ridiculously sharp. None of my friends like where I have it set, but I can appreciate it. Hope that makes a little sense...

14. jotadeo macrumors regular

I just got my 19" Samsung from newegg.com for $164.99 (after $20 rebate) plus tax and shipping (now it's at $169.99). I am very pleased with it, but I'm sure you can do much better if you're looking in the $200+ range. Make sure you check out dealmac.com...dealnews.com might have a wider selection but I think they have the same selection for monitors.

I'd rather have an ACD, of course. I was in my school's tech store the day I received my monitor and was checking out the ACDs. Obviously they blow away the Samsung, but man was I drooling (the 30" is overwhelming).

Good luck and let us know what you end up with and how you like it.
    jdo

15. jonnos macrumors regular

i was thinking of getting the viewsonic vx2025wm but i think they are now discontinued here in australia. ive seen on the net a new range 55 serise depending on prices here when they hit the shelves the vx2055wmb what im likely to purchase.

anyone heard anything about these new lcds? any good or bad comments?

16. Taymir macrumors newbie

Dell 2007 has S-IPS matrix, Samsung 206BW has TN matrix it is fast, good contrast, but the colors.... :( .
    What will you mainly use it for ? Here is a table of monitor models and types of matrixes.

17. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Thanks for the table, I was looking for something like that.

Mainly it is for day to day stuff. Surfing, emails, homework, etc. However, I am getting into more photo editting stuff and my gf is too. I probably don't need an ACD quality monitor, but I sure as hell want one :D I was never 100% satisfied with my old Viewsonic, the colours just weren't right, so I don't wanna make the mistake of dropping $500 again and getting something I'm not sold on.

18. Taymir macrumors newbie

Get the Dell, it is best for all around use, if you are a photo pro than ACD will do better, but you have to be a pro, otherwise you will not see the difference :) Buy the way I heard that Dell is releasing the new 20" widescreen, model 2008wft if I am not mistaken it is a matter of weeks for it to get to the market, but I am not 100% sure.

19. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I just visited my school store and they didn't have the 2007WFP on display, but they did have a 2005FPW on display... anyway, I asked the dude there and he quoted me 349.99$ for the Dell and $699.99 for the ACD (ouch) So I get $50 off the Dell but nothing off on the ACD.... that sucks!

20. DeathChill macrumors 68000

But don't Apple and Dell use the exact same LCD panel, so in essence you're just getting different packaging and different plug-in ports?

21. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well the Dell's use S-IPS panels AND S-PVA panels in the same brand, the 2007WFP. The ACD's are ONLY S-IPS. So with Dell it's a bit of a gamble on if you get the better panel or not. Dell uses Samsung for the S-PVA and LG for the S-IPS I think...

Anyway, I am pretty sold on the Dell I think....maybe... :D Costco has it for $409.99 cdn which is $10 above Dell retail and $50 above my school BUT it does have a 5 year advanced limited exchange warranty which is 2 more than usual I believe. Plus, since it is Costco, they are the best returns anywhere so if the slightest thing is wrong, I take it back no questions asked. Peace of mind might be worth the extra cash.

22. jesteraver macrumors 6502

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But most people nowadays are getting only the S-IPS version of the Dell 20". Almost everyone getting the new A04 version of that monitor is getting the S-IPS version, which are made in Mexico. I think getting an S-IPS is a much safer bet than before, and you end up with a top quality LCD panel. :)

On the other hand, I don't believe in stating things in "definites." IPS panels are only the best choice if you want colour accuracy. If you type documents, watch movies, play games, and use iPhoto and maybe Photoshop to touch up photos, then I think a PVA panel may be better because you get a faster response time for gaming. That, and who cares about colour accuracy when you're watching a bootleg version of 300?

Now, if your work MUST be colour accurate because it will be printed, and colour detail is important in your work, then of course S-IPS and AS-IPS panels are the way to go, and that's what Apple, Dell, LG, and several others will give you for a decent price.

Apple displays are said to be overpriced. They're not. They're better than Dells, even if they both use the same LCD panel (in the 20" and 30" monitors), because the LCD panel isn't the only factor to consider when designing a monitor. So Dell may have their new and improved 30" display, but I'm not sure if it's better for professionals who need to do colour accurate work.

My Dell LCD is good enough for the photography I do, though. :) Very happy with my purchase.

24. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

^ So true. The Apple ones truly are awesome. They had a 20" LG panel that was $280 and the 20" ACD side by side and the Apple colours looked much more vibrant than the cheap-o LG.

Alas, at almost $800 after taxes, it is too far out of my price range. Shame because thw quality and look is top notch. I am probably going to end up going with the Dell from Costco. I will pay the extra for longer warranty and peace of mind that I can return it with no hassle.

Now I am going to pray for no dead pixels and minimal backlight bleed. Ahhhh the JOYS of LCD technology :eek: