Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I am attempting to get my mac pro up and running again, with a new graphics card, once I get my adapter, and attempt to boot again, what if it turns out my monitor was the problem? if I have to get a new monitor, what ones would be compatible?

Right now I have a 24 inch LED apple cinema display that connects via mini display port. Are only Apple monitors copaaptable? or can I use a non apple one?

I am asking ahead, because I need to get my machine up and running as soon as possible, and if the monitor is the problem, I need to look for a replacement quickly.

I am taking a class that uses software on my machine, whith assignments due this week.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
None of the current Apple displays will work, they are TB connection.
Your LED was the last mdp version.

Pretty much any other monitor will work (with the correct connector).

Maybe worth a test while you wait for adapter...try gpu in slot 2.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
None of the current Apple displays will work, they are TB connection.
Your LED was the last mdp version.

Pretty much any other monitor will work (with the correct connector).

Maybe worth a test while you wait for adapter...try gpu in slot 2.
With my new GPU, would an HDMI monitor work? or even a small TV with HDMI?

Would an HDMI monitor work with the newer mac desktops, like the mac

I thought, if I get a newer mac desktop eventually, while keeping my current mac pro 5,1 for older software, is there a monitor that I could use with both of them? there is only so much room on my desk.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
All the new Macs will connect to pretty much any monitor (with the relevant adapter).

For example Mac Mini

Simultaneously supports up to two displays:
  • One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI
Thunderbolt 3 digital video output supports
  • Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • Thunderbolt 2, DVI and VGA output supported using adapters (sold separately)
HDMI display video output
  • Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz
  • DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

Reactions: prefuse07

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
All the new Macs will connect to pretty much any monitor (with the relevant adapter).

For example Mac Mini

Simultaneously supports up to two displays:
  • One display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz connected via Thunderbolt and one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz connected via HDMI
Thunderbolt 3 digital video output supports
  • Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • Thunderbolt 2, DVI and VGA output supported using adapters (sold separately)
HDMI display video output
  • Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz
  • DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
So for the thunderbolt 3 digital video, does this mean that I would be able to connect an apple LED cinema display that connects to a computer via a mini displayport connector to the mac mini via its thunderbolt 3 port with a USB-C adapter?

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I have installed an AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB. I have an Apple LED cinema display that connects via mini display port connected via adapter to the AMD display port.

What I would like to know is if I could connect this same Apple LED cinema display that connects via mini display port to a newer mac computer like a 2018 mac mini? or even a mac studio desktop.

or is there a monitor that could connect to both/either my current cMP and a newer mac like the mac mini 2018 or mac studio.

sfalatko

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2016
I have installed an AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB. I have an Apple LED cinema display that connects via mini display port connected via adapter to the AMD display port.

What I would like to know is if I could connect this same Apple LED cinema display that connects via mini display port to a newer mac computer like a 2018 mac mini? or even a mac studio desktop.

or is there a monitor that could connect to both/either my current cMP and a newer mac like the mac mini 2018 or mac studio.
You should be able to use a displayport to mini diplayport adapter or an HDMI to displayport to mini displayport set of adapters to connect. I use a displayport to mini displayport on my RX 560 to connect a 27" Apple Cinema Display to my cMP 5,1. You should be able to use the HDMI port on the 2018 mac mini to connect the display.

Reactions: prefuse07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.