Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techluvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Houston, TX
I have a question about installing an OS to try on a USB hard disk. If I place the ISO on this drive and boot to it, and continue on with the install process, where will it install to? This is important because I do not want to lose all of my Mac files. Thanks in advance!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Placing the ISO file onto the USB stick will do nothing. You won't be able to boot from a file. Use MRoogle to search for many similar topics (installing OS from USB device).

Also only one Mac OS X installation can be done per partition, so you need another partition to install another Mac OS X installation.

techluvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Houston, TX
Placing the ISO file onto the USB stick will do nothing. You won't be able to boot from a file. Use MRoogle to search for many similar topics (installing OS from USB device).

Also only one Mac OS X installation can be done per partition, so you need another partition to install another Mac OS X installation.

Not trying to install OS X again, I just want to install this on the USB HDD without touching my internal. I will MRoogle. Thanks for replying so fast!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Not trying to install OS X again, I just want to install this on the USB HDD without touching my internal. I will MRoogle. Thanks for replying so fast!

If you don't want a clean installation, you can clone your internal HDD to the external HDD via CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper.

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You cannot boot to an ISO.

If I am following you correctly, you want to install an OS onto a USB Drive.

If that is the case you will need to restore the ISO to some medium. Whether it be an external hard drive, a CD, or DVD.

You would then boot to that medium.

The installer for this OS should give you options. Since I don't know the OS you are wanting to try, I can't comment much further.

techluvr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
Houston, TX
You cannot boot to an ISO.

If I am following you correctly, you want to install an OS onto a USB Drive.

If that is the case you will need to restore the ISO to some medium. Whether it be an external hard drive, a CD, or DVD.

You would then boot to that medium.

The installer for this OS should give you options. Since I don't know the OS you are wanting to try, I can't comment much further.

That is correct.

I have extracted the contents of the ISO and placed them in the uppermost directory on this hard drive.

I am presuming that the drive is now bootable.

I am trying to install Windows 7. Would this installer allow me to place the new installation onto this drive?
Thank you!

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
That is correct.

I have extracted the contents of the ISO and placed them in the uppermost directory on this hard drive.

I am presuming that the drive is now bootable.

I am trying to install Windows 7. Would this installer allow me to place the new installation onto this drive?
Thank you!

You presume incorrectly. You just have a USB stick with Windows install files. If you have a Windows PC to create the Boot USB from you can use this tool from microsoft and your ISO.

http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/framework/w7udt/1.0/en-us/Windows7-USB-DVD-tool.exe

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.