Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Hello all,

For some unknown reason, the 'Other...' option is now permanently visible on my login screen and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Since it has the Network symbol as its image, I made sure the option to allow network users to log in was unticked (and it was unticked) in System Prefences (Accounts).

I read somewhere that the Other... option appears when the root user is activated in Directory Utility, but I had a look and it was disable, as is by default.

Does anyone know why 'Other...' is listed on my login screen and now to disable it? Although not a serious problem, it's bugging me somewhat.

Thanks in advance.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I found another person with the same issue here. The only solution idea was to enable root, then try to disable it again to see if it takes correctly.

I had tried that previously, just tried it again, no difference... :(

It's definitely not an issue with the root user, I think.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
AFAIR, "Other" doesn't appear unless root is enabled. Is root enabled on your Mac?

Hello, yellow. I think you'll find that in the original post I mentioned checking the root user option. It was never turned on and I've tried turning it on and then off to no avail. Other... is still in the login window.

I've also tried doing a permissions repair, running maintenance scripts and then repeating the root setting and the network users setting. It still won't go away.

I don't even know what caused it in the first place. :confused:

Thanks for your replies, though.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Solution Found

Sorry to bump this thread again, but just in case anyone is reading this and has been experiencing this problem, I managed to be told a solution over on the Apple Discussions website.

View the solution here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.