Other Photo editing applications?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BlindSoul, Dec 24, 2010.

1. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

Hey.

I'm currently using Aperture 3 only, and i've been wondering if you guys know or use other applications besides Lightroom , Photoshop or Aperture which is good for Photos editing and simple to use.
    Since i tried Lightroom and i don't really like it, and Photoshop is very complicated.

Thanks! :)

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

There's iPhoto of course.

There are also several web-based photo editing tools... http://www.lifeclever.com/10-free-web-based-alternatives-to-photoshop/

Why are you looking for alternatives? What's wrong with Aperture?

3. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

4. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm looking for an application which has more features with Brushes... Like Blur and such a things.. Aperture is very limited about this part.

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

If you shoot Nikon then you can try Capture NX. If you shoot people/portraits try Portrait Professional.

I'm a Photoshop man myself but I know it is by far the most difficult to learn since little is intuitive but I don't need to know how to do everything - no one does. Of course you can try Photoshops little brother, Photoshop Elements. Those the major programs. Aperture is very powerful and can work with plugins like Nik or Topaz Labs. I use Topaz Labs plugins in PS CS5 and love it

6. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you guys probably know if it's possible in Aperture to brush some part of the photo in gray and to keep the object in another color?

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Yes, in the "Adjustments" drop down (below the histogram display), add the "Black and White" panel and then click the gear to "Brush Black and White away" or "Brush Black and White in".

8. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much! Been searching for this feature for a really long time.
    Merry christmas!

9. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

You can brush in pretty much any adjustment on a photo.. you can also brush over and rebursh almost every adjustment. Thats the thing that made me buy aperture 3.

10. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

You could also give bibble a try.
    They have trial versions and special vouchers when you buy in this christmas season.

11. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

I've already tried it and i didn't like it much. I mean Aperture is much better. But i guess there's nothing which is better than Aperture so yeah i will just stay with Aperture.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

GraphicConverter. Earlier versions of this wonderful application were bundled with new Macs. Irrespective of which other applications you have, every Mac user should have GC installed. If you don't pay the shareware fee, then it is fully functional nagware. It nags you only during startup. However, GC is so good that you will want to pay the shareware fee.

13. BlindSoul thread starter macrumors 6502

14. WestcoastAkita macrumors newbie

If you're having difficulty with Aperture, I know it's got a bit of a learning curve, try "lynda.com" They have some great videos on using Aperture. I started with Aperture 2 and really hated it, then I got a new iMac and version 3, bought a book and watched the videos on Lynda, made a really big difference.:)

15. Kyffin macrumors 6502

If you're after a free RAW converter its always worth keeping Phocus in mind- you can get it from Hasselblad's website and given you've a mac it'll cope with other camera formats. You won't get all the features (dodge/burn&c.) but its a little star for converting your RAW files and adjusting the colour curves and white balance &c.

16. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/5.0.019802/22.414; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Yes, i believe so. Have you checked out lynda.com? In about 2-3 hours, youll be an aperture expert! $25/month and you can train as often and on as many applications as you'd like to learn. I use both A3 and PS. For my layer work, i use PS solely... But Aperture 3 has a pretty powerful "brushes" feature in it's latest iteration. If you'd like, pick up PS Elements 9... And select it as your Aperture external editor. This should help you out significantly with the addition of layers to your workflow