Other Section Growing Like Crazy

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Dima470, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Dima470 macrumors regular

Dima470

I didn't have this issue in beta 1. Ever since i upgraded my iPad to beta 2 via OTA update, my other section has been growing like crazy! In 2 hours it went from 1.26GB to 1.28GB. I have checked usage statistics in settings but no app seems to have a large amount of documents and data. Anyone know the reason or the fix? Anyone else experiencing this? Hard reset did not fix the issue.

2. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I've seen this problem multiple times, but unfortunately, it is basically impossible to fix (without restoring) if you aren't jailbroken.

3. Dima470 thread starter macrumors regular

Dima470

dang... are you sure? perhaps i can try resetting all settings? Can i use a backup if I have to restore?

4. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I don't think resetting would do much (it might though), if you restore from a backup, I would try and get one from before the problem happened, otherwise you risk just putting the stuff right back on your device (though if you only have recent backups with the problem, you might as well try it with one of those before clean restoring).

How long has it been since you last restored? If it's like an extremely long time (8+ months ), it's best to restore from clean anyways. If you've restored recently, it could possibly just be a glitch in beta 2 that apple may fix in the future, but I wouldn't count on it.

5. tmarks11 macrumors 6502a

It is easy to fix. The cause is incomplete downloads littering up the purchase directory of your ipad. You can delete them and recover much of the space.

Jail-breaking not required.

Download a file explorer (I use iExplorer) on your desktop and browse through the media/purchases directory on you iOS device. Delete everything there except for StorePurchasesInfo.plist.

I did it on 3 of my iPads, recovered between 3-7 GB from each. Two of my computer had about 6-7 movie files in that directory, that had been deleted off the ipad, yet still were resident in the "purchases" directory for some unknown reason.

http://helgeklein.com/blog/2012/02/solved-other-eating-up-gigabytes-of-ipad-storage/