"Other" space taking up 2.4Gb

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yetanotherdave, Dec 2, 2010.

1. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Yes, I searched, all the threads I found were either jailbreak related, itunes 7.7, or iOS2/3.

Basically the "other" section of my iPhone is at 2.4Gb and I can't work out what's using all the space or how to get it back. Are there any apps that are "known offenders" for taking up loads of space?

2. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

3. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Correct.

4. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

5. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Well, I removed all my music, no difference, then podcasts, then audio books, no difference. After I had removed everything except for apps the 2.4gb of other was still there. I periodically rebooted and unplugged the phone during this.

I then used iPhone explorer and went to /media/itunes_control/Music, and there were loads of files in there, despite having no music on the phone. So I've taken a chance and deleted all the files. Previewing some of them they all appeared to be podcasts that I listened to and deleted ages ago. They totalled about 2gb.

Am about to re-sync all my media back now...

6. SAD*FACED*CLOWN, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

it's NOT OS....I thought this originally as well until I was corrected by an apple genius, the OS has already been accounted for and reduces your overall memory by 2GB...example my 16 GB iPhone 4 says capacity 14 GB even when nothing is synced to it...other is album art from non iTunes music, at least in my case

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Correct. In fact, the iOS resides in a separate partition than the rest of the iPhone's filesystem - this was confirmed very early on.

Part of the reason why certain iOS upgrades have required erasing all your content and resyncing, but other iOS upgrades have been able to leave the existing content behind unmodified, is because some new iOS versions can fit in the same size partition that was already in use -- but other new iOS versions have grown to the point that they no longer fit in the existing partition, so the Flash storage had to be repartitioned. And the most straightforward way to do that is to erase the whole thing and start over from scratch.