Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ONIKAMARAJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2014
"Other" is taking up 2.4+ GBs. Is there anyway to fix it other than keep deleting the apps & restoring? Please help.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
"Other" taking up 2.4+ GBs?

"Other" is taking up 2.4+ GBs. Is there anyway to fix it other than keep deleting the apps & restoring? Please help.

Delete all apps. Don't install any. Then you won't have "Other".

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406030566.144374.jpg

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
If you goto settings > general > usage then wait for it to load.

You'll have a list of storage space used by each app. This is the combination of app usage and other usage. Clicking on it will show the image above.

That can help you pinpoint any app is using an excessive amount of storage space.

Jaguarr40

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
Sarasota, Florida

It is always going to have close to other no matter what you do which included iMessages and pics sent with them, and also other various documents and info like mail and notes and anything else toy might have saved. Just live with it and don't worry about it or you will drive yourself crazy. We all go through it.

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
The "Other" category consists of necessary stuff like the OS and caches, but it also has a lot of leftover junk that you can't purge without doing the reset and restore. Some of this is stuff like botched app and song downloads.

In my experience, the "Other" category seems to grow larger if you use iTunes Match, because the songs you play using Match are downloaded to the phone and I believe that the music library data for Match (which can be hundreds of MBs) is stored as "Other" data. If you accumulate a large number of songs, you can purge them to free up storage space. But, for any songs that did not download completely or were interrupted, those get orphaned and there's no easy way of manually deleting them.

I've just settled on a routine of doing a factory reset and restore from backup every other month. It takes about that long for the "Other" category to balloon out to over 2.5 GB, and I have some other badly written apps that also hog up space that they won't release without a reset and restore.

You can also free up storage space by deleting messages (with their attachments), deleting your music files especially if you use iTunes Match, and yes deleting apps.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013

How much storage does your iPhone have? Generally having more than 3 GB of Other is a indication of corrupted data, most commonly when syncing music (many times random but pulling the cable on the iPhone before sync has finished will also trigger large Other data). If you have a lot of music and replaced your album art with high resolution files (1000x1000+) it tends to bring the other up as album art is in a separate category stored in iTunes and can affect the size. iMessage is known for contributing to the Other increase. The only option to truly fix your large Other data is to restore.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Just make a backup (iTunes or iCloud, your pick) and restore the iPhone from that backup. It'll take maybe 10min tops and you should be able to clear out a significant amount of Other space. I recently did that and brought my Other storage from 3.4gb down to a way more manageable 1.2gb. I'm sure I could've gotten rid of more of it had I set up as new, but I didn't feel like doing that.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Not sure if this will help, but we found out that memory can be sucked up with the message app. All those pics you SENT are still sitting there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.