Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slevin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
New York
So I had to restore my iPhone 6 and when I did I thought I erased all content and settings but when I plug it into iTunes it shows that "other" is taking up 71GB of space. I'm pretty sure this is my music library... How can I reclaim this space?

Saif23

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
Go to the app store & download Batter Doctor & clean it & see if it helps remove junk :)

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
Battery doctor doesn't help me for my "other" space, unfortunately. This really needs to be looked at by Apple so they can give us a clear explanation and solution.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
This really needs to be looked at by Apple so they can give us a clear explanation and solution.

LOL. They won't. The clear explanation is "It helps us sell more expensive models". They can't publicly admit it.

The solution is to not feed these crooks with your hard earned money.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Not sure how to reclaim the space without a full restore from backup, but it seems that it's caused by the OS not automatically deleting downloaded video caches. Hope they address this bug in the next version.

(Of course, the Other storage section includes things like iMessage attachments, but the auto deletion feature in iOS 8 should automatically reclaim some space.)

LOL. They won't. The clear explanation is "It helps us sell more expensive models". They can't publicly admit it.

The solution is to not feed these crooks with your hard earned money.

You don't have to contribute if you don't have anything constructive.

Last edited:

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
this other section has been around for several iterations of iOS and apple have never explained exactly what it is or how to truly stop/reduce its size.. Pretty poor by Apple and not ideal for those on low spaced devices...

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
71 GB is horrendous. Try unsyncing then resyncing your music, that might just help clear it up.

Slevin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2007
New York
I wound up navigating my iPhone using PhoneView and discovered it was indeed music that I had on my iPhone but wasn't registering the library for some reason. So manually deleted the entire library and claimed 70GB back. I still have another 3GB of other that I can't seem to discover what it is though. But I'll take only having 3gb as other space on my iPhone anyday

Woochifer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Yeah, the only way to reclaim the "other" space is to restore the device as new, and then restore the data from backup. If you use iTunes Match a lot, any downloads that do not complete all the way will occupy storage space until you restore the device. I learned that with iTunes Match active, downloading playlists and songs should be done in smaller chunks at a time. If anything stalls, then a lot of garbage data will remain behind. Deleting the music files from the settings won't purge this data.

Just as a maintenance routine, I restore my device as new about once every other month, or whenever there's a major interval iOS update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.