Other uses for the iPad camera kit?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by roletti2007, Apr 7, 2010.

1. roletti2007 macrumors member

Maybe someone can shed some light on this the ipad camera kit comes with a USB port correct? So would it be possible to use that to import let's say documents?

2. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

I think its called a Camera Kit for a reason. It will import pictures and movies from a CAMERA

3. nStyle macrumors 65816

I can definitely see some custom app (jailbroken one) that utilizes the USB for other kinds of documents.

We will no doubt see this.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

At least in one area of Apple’s Web site, it mentions the Camera Connection Kit as being able to import Video also.

Which raises two questions:

1. Where do those imported videos go? The Videos.app? Or the Photo.app?
    2. Can I store .M4V or .MP4 videos on an SD card, and use the SD Card Reader to Dock adapter to import new movies into my iPad?

As for anything else — looks like it’s not happening at least with 3.2. Maybe they’ll offer something more with 4.0.

5. nStyle macrumors 65816

jaw, it's likely not going to happen within Apple's limitations anyway, it will probably come with a jailbreak related thing. Any type of file can come through USB, its just you have to have the right software to recognize the files and read them.

6. roletti2007 thread starter macrumors member

Hey man, no reason to come off like that, just a question and a valid one at that, this is why forums can be vexing, there always one or two......

7. Shymcfly macrumors member

I would like to see "and most likely will" jailbreak apps that allow program execution from a flash drive

8. FoxDavis macrumors regular

What about a web camera using the USB adapter?

9. roletti2007 thread starter macrumors member

Not sure but I'll buy the kit and check it out, worse case if I can't use it I'll return it

10. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

I was wondering this too. If you get the USB connection kit, you could theoretically connect a Flip video camera . . . but would the video transfer? Hopefully someone will try.