other ways of adding files?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by brightshadow360, Sep 29, 2008.

1. brightshadow360 macrumors member

I have no coputer at this time. so I have to use the schools. I have access to itunes, but would rather not put up with that. so my questions are:

1.how do I make the ipod hard drive show up in windows (tried to install iphonebrowser. either it's buggy or the admin settings are messing with it)

2.how does one use ssh? (I assume that is the ability to turn the ipod into a remot desktop or something)

3.I have the app "air sharing" from apples app store. I tried to use it and failed miserably. halp

4.and finaly, do I even have to wory about itunes? I assume that it will only transfer files that are "suposed to" work on an ipod touch and then only one way (in other words, it won't transfer stuff that will work on cidia apps and not on the unjailbroken touch not to mention the fact that I can't take files from the touch) have I guessed corectly and is there a way around it?

2. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

If I may ask, what's the point in having a new iPod Touch if you have no computer? :confused:

But as for your questions...

1. You'll need to use a 3rd-party application for this. Can't think of any at the moment, though.

2. SSH as in file transfers? Please specify!

3. Air Sharing works fine on my Mac. Haven't had the time to try it from Windows, though. What seems to be the issue? On my Mac it's as simple as typing in the numbers and hitting Connect.

4. iTunes is necessary for any iPod Touch firmware updates to take place. Without iTunes you cannot add movies, podcasts, etc... to your device.

Like I said, it's a waste to have an iPod Touch- the top of the line iPod- and not have a computer. =/

3. brightshadow360 thread starter macrumors member

don't have a computer cus I left it at home to prevent distractions from school work.:rolleyes:

also, I still don't realy know what ssh even is.

for air sharing, on windows, I think I have to create a network, which I tried. am I wrong? I also installed bonjour for windows, but it won't detect it.

finaly itunes. not interested in updates right now. what I want is to be able to put my music in folders without itunes auto sorting my stuff. basicly, I whant it to behave simmilarly to windows. no playlists. no sorting by artist. just drag and drop (or open folder or something like that) I want to manualy sort my stuff. the first step in doing this is to put stuff on without syncing. I can find players other than itunes to handle the folders. just can't find something to put them in said folders.

4. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Sorry to say I don't think it's going to happen. The iPod and iTunes have done so well because it's so easy when they work together. There's no other option really. Even on the harddrive iPods, you could drag and drop onto the disk, but the music folders were hidden, so you couldn't mess with it. It was only there for file transfers like documents and such. Having only 1 of the 2 requirements (iPod + iTunes) is going to make it really hard to use. Hopefully someone knows of some 3rd party software that can save you, otherwise you're stuck. Good luck.

5. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

I use Airsharing.

Won't that work?

I got it from the app store.

With Air Sharing, you can:
    Mount your iPod touch as a wireless drive on any Mac, Windows, or Linux computer.
    Drag-drop files between your iPod touch and your computer.

http://www.avatron.com/products/

6. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

I use Airsharing.

Won't that work?

I got it from the app store.

With Air Sharing, you can:
    Mount your iPod touch as a wireless drive on any Mac, Windows, or Linux computer.
    Drag-drop files between your iPod touch and your computer.

http://www.avatron.com/products/

oh sorry I just saw that you couldn't get it to work

7. brightshadow360 thread starter macrumors member

I have access to itunes. I just don't want to use it because it auto sorts my stuff. I want to be the one who decides what is and isn't metal, techno, and theme songs anime, battle, ect. also I have moblefinder. I can't find the music, but i know how I could put it in if I could conect.

also, I have air sharing but it refuses to work. how do you link it? and can you transfer songs with it or is it only documents?

8. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

There are instructions, step-by-step, for any OS, in the App's help section.

9. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Here's a link to the Air Sharing site http://www.avatron.com/products/
    I was looking at it and it might be able to handle audio but I'm not sure. At the bottom of the page it says what kind of files you can put on it, but it says "viewable", so I'm not sure if that means you'll get any sound. I'll try moving an audio file over and see if it plays tonight and get back to you if you haven't figured out how to connect yet. You might get some help in the support section if the app's help section doesn't work. Good luck.

10. BioCore macrumors regular

Is there any way I can use my iTunes credits to buy this app? It seems strange to me that apple will not accept the money that was used on the iTunes gift card for apps.

I would really love this app as I have quite a few pdf documents and a whole lot of space still left on my iPod Touch.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Auto sort? If you are talking about iTunes wanting to organize your music into its own folders on a computer hard drive, then you can turn that off by unchecking "Keep iTunes folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes folder when adding to Library" options in the Advanced tab in the Preferences settings.

As for designating a song's genre, as far as I know, iTunes doesn't do that automatically. That information is embedded in the music files, and is determined by whomever ripped or coded the music. And if you don't agree with the categorization, you can change it by doing "get Info" on a song in iTunes and editing the genre info from there.

12. brightshadow360 thread starter macrumors member

lets say, on windows, you have your music organized in files. not only that, but you have files in files. does this advanced setting thing enable this? if so, that part of my problems. I couldn't help but notice that you said computer harddrive. you were refering to the touch right? theres no problem on computers.

the only problem remaining is the transfering of files that are "incompatible" even though I have 3ed party apps that can handle almost any format. can I make itunes ignore this?

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

First of all, I think you mean folders inside folders. And yes, if you change the settings on iTunes the way I described, it will let you organize your music exactly the way you want on your computer.

I don't know why you'd think I was refering to the Touch, there's no "folders" for music on the Touch, it's all organized by "Artist," "Albums," "Genres" etc, all of which you can edit in iTunes the way it makes sense to you. Plus you can make playlists -- again, anyway you want. I find iTunes to be very flexible, and it allows me to find and play any song I want on my Touch without any difficulty.

Can you make iTunes ignore them? LOL, you can't make iTunes recognize them in the first place! I have no idea what 3rd party apps you are using, so I don't know how they organize the non-iTunes files, but whatever they do, yes, basically iTunes and the 3rd party apps would just ignore each other and each do their own thing.

14. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

music on air sharing

update: So I tried out some music on air sharing, and they seem to work fine. You don't get coverflow or any info or anything, but it does play. A homemade .m4v video worked as well. So it looks like you could do this if you don't need any album art, artist name or song name. And you have to play each song individually. So it does work, but it seems to be more work this way than just using iTunes to organize your music like Night Spring has suggested. And as far as incompatible songs playing, that's not going to happen. Sounds like you need something more open than an iPod touch.

15. brightshadow360 thread starter macrumors member

of course you can organize stuff on your computer. durrrr.:rolleyes: but I want to organize stuff on my ipod in an at least simmilar way to the way it is on my computer. I don't want to make a play list for both the entirty of my videogame music AND make a playlist for each subfolder (mario, zelda, ect.) AND make playlists for all of THEIR subfolders. not only that, but each time I add new music, I would have to put it in each one all over again. not to mention how messy and disorganized it would be.

exactly how is itunes flexible? seems like the only way to play music in it is to use playlists. thats fine and dandy if you catagorize your songs in brawd catagories, but if you want to be specific, forget it. unless you know something I don't:confused:...oh and there ARE folders on the ipod. download moblebrowser or some similar app and you will see. though music is proving to be hard to find.

as for airsharing, can you detirmine what folder it sticks the songs in? given that, I can move it using moblefinder.also, how exactly do you conect it to a computer? I had trouble before. maybe if someone walks me through it...

also, iphonebrowser seems to work just fine...as long as I don't actualy connect my ipod and let it detect it that is. seems other people are having the same problem. anyone know what is causing it?

-------------------------------------------------edit
    never mind about about iphonebrowser. almost everything has been solved by using a later version. all I need now is a media player that can browse properly