Other ways to check computer besides Malwarebytes and Clamxav?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Yumid, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Yumid macrumors member

I ran Clam and Malware bytes without finding anything. The only problem is someone international keeps swiping my credit card info/tries accessing my online banking all the time...are there any other ways to scan your CPU that are a bit more in depth than malware bytes or clamxav? Free options?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Real security isn't free.
    How are these creeps getting your credit card info?
    You know they are trying to access your online banking account. How?
    They tried, but did not succeed? What stopped them?

There really aren't legitimate security apps out there for the Mac. It's not a virus, since there are none. Malwarebytes is annoy-ware IMO. I don't need it, since my browsing habits have not created issues for me. To prevent what is happening to you, it's likely that you are going to need to change some habits.

3. campyguy macrumors 68040

Agreed with Gregg2, AFAIK no free software is available to fully assess what's going on with your situation. You could be the victim of a keylogger install, a man-in-the-middle compromise, a hijacked router, poor wifi, or easily broken passwords. The only Mac-based commercial security app that claims to include keystroke logger detection is MacScan by SecureMac. Personally, I use Little Snitch and a unique Standard User account for all of my financial dealings, and only with a wired connection.

You didn't list which OS, web browser, whether or not you're using a VPN, or network connections you're using. That kind of info could be helpful, so we can help you…

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

My guess is that your computer isn't the culprit here.

5. chscag macrumors 68000

I agree. I have had both my personal credit card and my business credit card information stolen several times. On one occasion it was used by some low life individuals operating out of Ireland. (I live in Texas) How did they get the info? Not from me or from my computer directly, but likely from my using the credit cards on line or in Walmart, Target, etc.

6. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Download and run EtreCheck (https://etrecheck.com/), then post the results of a Normal scan. It's not security software but instead produces a detailed system profile that includes all application components that are installed in directories of concern. One the Mac, there are relatively few places for nasty application to hide. The resulting report will clearly show nearly any significant threat installed on your Mac.