"Other" workout always using gps?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by koerk, Jun 4, 2017.

1. koerk macrumors regular

koerk

Hi,

I did own a series 1 Apple Watch after last Christmas - for two days, then I returned it.
    There were some annoyances and I couldn't justify the 350€ that time.

The last weeks I am contemplating with the watch AGAIN. I don't really know what to do with this urge since I decided against the watch half a year ago.

One annoyance was when I was working out and afterwards my 5S was nearly dead. I figured it must have used the gps for the "other" workout I started.
    Does it always use gps? I remember choosing it to be the only way to track strength training (renaming it afterwards).

How do you do it in your case?

Thanks!

2. Julien, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Not sure what your problem was but Other doesn't use GPS. GPS is only used on Outdoor Workouts of Walk, Run, Bike and Open Water Swim on a S2.

3. koerk thread starter macrumors regular

koerk

Cannot replicate it now obviously but I am pretty sure it did use gps on the one occasion of testing it.
    I figured it might not know if "others" is intended to be in- or outdoor and would fire up gps nonetheless.

If you tell me it does not use it, I believe you and might have got something wrong then.
    Thank you!

4. Julien, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I does not use GPS when you select Other. I use Workout about 80 times a month since April 2015 (including Other for strength training and core).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204523

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. koerk thread starter macrumors regular

koerk