iPad mini Ottebox for Retina Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ks-man, Nov 16, 2013.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

Does anybody know if the Retina mini uses the same otterbox case as the original mini? The otterbox site makes it look like there is a new one but I don't see it on Amazon or anywhere else. I don't see anyone commenting either on if it works or not.

Thanks.

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Yes, it will work. The rMini is only 0.3 millimeters thicker which makes no difference for cases.

3. Z3man macrumors 6502a

It's only 0.3mm thicker, if it was 2.0mm thicker it wouldn't fit.

4. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

Oops, sorry, getting my measurements wrong by memory. I will edit.

5. pheenix11 macrumors regular

I have the Otterbox Defender for the iPad Mini Retina, I specifically looked for the new version because I didn't want to take any chances. I do know of one difference at least: the new version has a hole for the additional microphone on the back while the old version doesn't.

The primary user of our iPad mini is our 4 year old son. He does pretty well with it and when I went to sell his old one on eBay there wasn't a scratch on it thanks to the Otterbox.

New Version
    SKU Number 77-28157 (iPad Mini Retina or iPad Mini)
    http://www.otterbox.com/iPad-mini-w..._color=20&start=1&cgid=ipad-mini-retina-cases

Old Version
    SKU Number 77-23834 (iPad Mini)
    http://www.otterbox.com/iPad-mini-Defender-Series-Case/apl2-imin1,default,pd.html

6. rrm74001 macrumors regular

rrm74001

The most simple answer to your question is no. They redesigned the Defender case for the iPad Mini with retina display. As mentioned, the main difference is that they added a hole on the back for the second microphone. It is only available for purchase direct from Otterbox, as far as I case tell.

I highly recommend it. It is my go-to case for iPads. I already have one for the iPad Mini with retina display that I do not even have yet :).

7. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

So just confirming that you got yours for the retina mini straight from Otterbox? I was hoping to see it on Amazon as it is usually $25-30 cheaper than where Otterbox sells it.