Otter Box Defender Iphone 6 first impressions...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Juicy D. Links, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Juicy D. Links macrumors 6502

Got one from Best Buy (it was a zoo in there)

It is less bulky than previous defender cases in the past.

one thing I noticed and really is a pain is that it will not work with ANYTHING BUT A SLIM OEM cable,,,, the charger opening it just big enough for the Apple OEM size.

The touch id was not a issue so far.

TBH I am on the fence with this one.

I took these pics with my Ipad so not the sharpest...

Protection wise it looks like it will protect the phone pretty well

Attached Files:

2. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Very nice. BB was totally out of all defender cases so I got mine at VZW store. Gunmetal/white for my silver IP6. Fits very nicely and looks like it will protect going forward. Only issues so far is because of the width of the IP6 the sleep button is a bit stiff. I find holding the phone with one hand its a stretch to get a good press of that button. Then the control center slide up has to have my finger/thumb start just above the home button to be consistent.

I chose the defender because I golf and use the GolfShot GPS app. Trust me without some sort of dust protection it gets very dusty out there. When I traded my IP5 in the AT&T rep "gee, its so clean did you ever even use it"?

I grabbed a $14.99 Insigina TPU gray/frost case at BB just to use when I remove the defender when the golf season is over. Yes the defender adds some bulk but for those who need protection its the best out there.

Wonder if otter box will release a Preserver for the new iPhones?

3. Branman11 macrumors newbie

Im glad your liking your new otterbox defender. I wonder if the ones in best buy are any better than the ones directly from otterbox. I ordered mine directly from them and the fitment is super loose imo and the volume buttons are just about impossible to push unless you jam your finger into them. Are you noticing any of these issues? If not I may go grab one from my local best buy and see if its any different. Thanks for any help.

4. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Sorry to hear you are having issues. Coming from a defender on my IP5 the buttons are a bit more stiff but nothing like you describe. If you have a local VZW or AT&T store I would go there. 3 best buy stores in my area were depleted of almost all their IP6 cases including otter box. If I were you I would grab one locally and see if its better - you can always return it.

5. Branman11 macrumors newbie

Yeah i just looked up the local best buys and they both have the all black ones in stock so I may give it a shot. Im glad some people are having good luck which gives me a little hope that I just got a faulty case.

6. rgusa8 macrumors member

I bought mine from Best Buy and experience the same issues. I contacted otterbox, they had me send all the pictures and proof of purchase then ultimately responded they can't do anything about it now, to just return to Best Buy. Very disappointing

Can anyone with the so called "good" ones comment on where they were made? Mine is China

7. ozshadow macrumors regular

8. Juicy D. Links thread starter macrumors 6502

all are made in china

9. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Someone else in another thread said they got theirs from BB as well. I had no choice but to get mine from Verizon Wireless as they were the only ones with ample stock; black, pink, gunmetal

10. Branman11 macrumors newbie

Interesting. I called last night and the guy on the phone was unaware of an issue. He put me on hold then came back and said it was the first they have heard of the issue. I have heard that line plenty of times but maybe it was true because they did send me another case to try.

11. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Question: for those having issues, what color case did you get? Mine is gunmetal and white which matches my 64GB silver.

12. rgusa8 macrumors member

13. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Interesting. When you shake the case does your phone move? Did you have issues snapping the case closed with the phone in it?

I have none of those. Buttons are a bit stiff but it's because they are thinner than the previous model and so are the phone buttons.

14. rgusa8 macrumors member

It wiggles before I put the top plastic on but can't really tell when it's on. However after putting the shell together, I notice I can still press the 2 pieces closer, like the case isn't fully closing. This also causes the screen protector to not be flush with the screen. With every tap I can hear the plastic making contact along with reduced sensitivity.

And yeah buttons are almost useless for the volume, sleep button is fine though.

15. Juicy D. Links thread starter macrumors 6502

16. 3rdiguy macrumors 6502a

3rdiguy

That looks cool but I'm concerned about what the 6 plus version will look like.

17. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

That's very interesting. When I put my phone inside the case, placed on back cover, I could move it up and down AT THE MOST 1-mm so very little. And when I put the top section on, it snapped in place very nicely. My screen protector is dead flush. When I type or press there is no tactical feel. Its gotta be a defective case you have.

18. ColdnFrosty macrumors newbie

ColdnFrosty

Stiff Buttons on Defender Case

I have to agree! The volume and sleep buttons on the Defender case for the iPhone 6 I have are very stiff and require a good bit of force. There is also noticeable vertical play in the inner case fit. It's not snug. I suspect this might be a contributing factor to the stiffness of the buttons. Perhaps they are not hitting the sweet spot of the buttons. I had a defender case for the iPhone 5 and it exhibited no such issues.

19. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

When you say vertical play, is that when the case is fully assembled? I have no vertical play. When I placed the iPhone inside the case before I snapped the top case on it did move a little bit. Someone else said their screen protector also didn't line up. Mine is flush like my defender 5 case was.

You may want to look into the Pelican Voyager case at AT&T. Not quite the defender but a vary protective case. I may grab one in a week or so to try out.