otter box

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by sotorious, Apr 27, 2011.

1. sotorious macrumors 6502a

is it worth it? and how much more clunky does it make the phone? Also those of you who dont have a screen protector. Have you gotten any scratches on your screen?

2. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

talking about defender right? yes... quite bulky. however, once you've had it on, you'll get used to it and most likely like it (since your already considering you must like the look). The otterbox comes with a built in screenshield. However, there is a watermark effect which can easily be fixed with baby powder or a screenshield on the phone. (watermark depends on the case, i think newer cases not as bad but as the screen gets a little bit loser watermark gets worse... i think anyway)

all in all, i think you shud go for it. i always thought it was too bulky of a case, but after buying two fakes one for my girl (she liked it too) i ended up buying a real one. ANOTHEr great thing about otterbox... I sent them an email telling them I get the watermark effect (i bought this one off ebay for like 20 bucks), they sent me a brand new one... basically got 2 otterboxes for 20 bucks lol so go fish around ebay for a good deal.

3. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I prefer the Commuter to the Defender. It offers very good protection but isn't as bulky and 'un-phone like' as the Defender.

4. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

what do you mean water mark ? on the screen protector they give you or on the screen it self?

5. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

the otterbox has a BUILT IN screen. which phone are you getting it for 3gs or 4? cuz i dont think the iphone 4 has any problems actually. So if its for ihpone 4 disregard what i said about watermark. I would recommend going on youtube and just looking at some reviews.

6. feeth macrumors 6502

Amazon has the commuter for $17.99, free shipping if you have amazon prime.

I ordered it for my dad's new verizon IP4.

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

There was a seller (assuming he's still there) on Amazon that was selling Defenders (slightly used) for around $15. They didn't have the box but they looked damn near brand new. I wound up buying two from him and you couldn't tell they were used.

It's a really bulky case no doubt however one of the main issues with the Defender was the silicone outer. After awhile it tends to get loose and saggy so I'm not sure if they fixed that bit or not but it happened to my Defenders.

8. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I've seen more and more people with Otterbox Defenders now, mostly females. Is it bulky, yes it is, but does it protect your phone for years to come, yes it does and that's what matters especially if you're accident prone.

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I have the original Otterbox for my iPhone.

LOVE IT.

Will be purchasing one for whatever iPhone I upgrade to.

10. guccigucci88 macrumors 6502a

guccigucci88

The first one i bought was an old one from ebay and the silicone had like a "shiny" texture almost to it. Not sure if its worn out but it definitely feels way different then the new one i got. Either way no sagging issues but im sure the new ones have been fixed up a little if there were problems before.

11. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I had the Defender, but ultimately switched to the Commuter because the Defender just makes the phone TOO big and ugly.

12. DarrenG macrumors regular

Regarding the pooling effect you can get when the built-in screen protector contacts the iPhone screen, Otterbox gave me a top tip when I mentioned it in a review.

Wipe your iPhone screen with the palm of your hand, or your cheek. The natural oils in your skin will stop the pooling completely.

I was a little skeptical when they suggested it but it works. I have the Defender for my iPhone 4 and love it.

13. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. sotorious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well i got the commuter, and it does add some serious bulk and also makes my display look a lot smaller. I am pleased with the protection, but i think i may go back to my old case, just a silicone cover, cause the screen looks like it shrunk .5 inches and its eating me alive.