Otter case or iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by glocke12, Feb 27, 2008.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Anyone have this for the iphone ?

http://www.otterbox.com/

Looks like I cool case, except for the fact that the silence button is not accesable.

2. alphajerk macrumors member

I have one and I like it. I did end up removing the "protective membrane" for the screen because I could never get it to stick right and it would leave the "oil slick" look in spots which annoyed me. I bought it for my history of dropping cell phones. It does add a bit of bulk that some people will probably dislike, but I would rather have it be a bit bigger than have the face be cracked. Google it and you will see some reviews.

3. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

I was seriously considering it until I found out about the lack of silence button. That was a deal-breaker for me. I ended up with a Speck case and I'm very happy with it.

4. PJNorwood macrumors member

I am buying my iphone Friday and was planning on ordering the Otter Defender case. I am in the fire dept and need some additional protection for the phone. But, not being one yet to hold and play with one, can you place the phone on vibrate/silence through the phone's screen and accessing the settings?

5. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Not sure I'm understanding exactly what you mean, so I'll cover both of the bases:

- If you mean can you set the iPhone to vibrate and then get to the settings for everything else but the ringer/vibrate on the iPhone, then the answer is yes.

- If you mean can you set the iPhone to vibrate and then get to the vibrate/ringer settings on the iPhone via the touch-screen, then the answer is no.

You can get into settings and set if the iPhone will vibrate while in 'silent' mode and/or if it will vibrate as it rings when in 'normal' mode, but that's it. The button runs everything.

Either way, I say go for it, you won't be disappointed, it's a killer piece of technology.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

7. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Thanks for the replies...The otter case looks like a killer product, but the inability to access the silence switch is a deal breaker for me. Ill probably go with the iskin revo (which was what was on my stolen iphone).

8. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

9. PJNorwood macrumors member

OK, I got the Iphone and yes the case! Does anyone actaully have the Otterbox case? Do you or have you used the belt clip? The silicone case doesn't appear to be very secure in the belt case. Does it lock in? Does it stay in place? Do you think it would fall out?

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

my friend has one...dropped his iPhone and the bezel is now scratched...it seems like the incase would be a simpler solution

11. JustGotPaid macrumors newbie

The Otter case was highly recommended to me by the Att&T sales person so I got it. I will have to agree that it looks very rugged for phone protection. However, I'm not so sure how good it is for the phone user and phone volume. I did a test with a friend on the phone and there is a big difference in how well you hear with the Otter case on (not as well), and when it is removed (much better). There is also what appears to be a thin piece of paper "built in" to the Otter case where the ear piece is on the phone (in other words, where you hear the phone). I have no idea what that was for and common sense would say it can only diminish how well you can hear the phone. Right or wrong, I took this off and the volume improved greatly. I have no idea what purpose that paper thing served, but mine is now long gone.

12. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

FYI, the purpose of the paper "thing" is to keep dust and dirt from entering in through the ear speaker opening of the case. I really don't see any difference in being able to hear my iphone with the case on it, and I have the paper filter in place. I have even used my phone at large parties and no problems with hearing. Who knows though, maybe I just don't notice as much as the next guy. :p