Otterbox 2600: waterproof, dustproof, dirtproof, sandproof, crushproof, drop-proof.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Pika, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

[​IMG][​IMG]

An armor case you can count to protect your new iPhone 3G S. Waterproof, water resistant, air tight and crushproof. The toughest, most rugged case you can buy for your iPhone 3G S. This case also includes an exterior stylus holder, an adjustable Velcro hand strap (easy to use with gloves).

All for $49.95

Is there anything better then this to protect my iPhone?

2. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

interesting for sure, but that won't fit in my pocket...

3. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

Does it come with a holster like the Defender?

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

iThink that bubble wrapping the phone would be a better choice

5. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

I wonder how water tight this is? It looks like a great solution for a day on the:
    -boat
    -beach
    or in the saddle compartment of a jetski

anyone use this case yet? Does otter say to what depth it's water proof too?

I would consider this over my current water proof case that is of simplist design, the aqua pac. But only cause the aqua pac feels too much like an iPhone Condum.

6. Dr Lu 2010 macrumors member

-bomb proof
    -fire proof
    -hooker proof
    -yo momma proof

:eek:

7. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I've not used this particular case but I have used other Otterbox waterproof cases in the past for other items (cameras, etc.). They have a very good reputation for offering the protection they state. If it says it's good to "xx" ft underwater, I have no problems trusting them.

I use the Otterbox Defender case for my iPhone and could definitely see a use for the one pictured above if I spent a considerable amount of time on a boat, in the sand, or other extreme conditions.

8. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

am i the only one that thinks that thing is hideous?

it's like an iphone with full-headgear braces on it. :eek:

totally ruins the sleek/sexy thing that the iphone has going for it..

9. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

...Um, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess this really isn't intended to be an everyday case. This is for very specific applications or situations. C'mon, think outside the bun.

10. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

It reminds me of the hand capsule on that guy from Zoolander. :)

It certainly looks like it does what it seeks to accomplish.

11. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

ohh...i see...it's for people that want to go swimming, skydiving and sumo wrestling with their iphones...:confused:

you name a situation where you need this thing and i'll name a situation where you shouldn't be carrying your iphone with you while you're in that situation.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

its also mobile proof, ease of use proof, style proof, etc etc.

13. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

14. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Marine biologists collecting data
    Campers using the GPS
    Climbers, also using GPS and possibly emergency phone
    Military field use

Basically, anyone anytime they know they will be up against the elements but still need a phone. Also, as more specific applications emerge for various business uses, making sure the iPhone can survive the elements will be key. Again, not everyone is looking for a trendy case that matches their socks for clubbing on Friday night.

15. topherg macrumors regular

that case is discontinued... I just ordered the otterbox defender case for my 3GS:D

16. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Yea but if you want a phone that you can use during those activities I would think you'd have better options than an iPhone + that tank of a case...Maybe something with swappable batteries? Or at least batteries that can last longer than a day without needing a charge?

And military? Really? What military personnel in their right minds would want a touch screen keyboard/dialpad that would be useless in the event of a broken screen?

Edit: I really hope you don't actually consider the iPhone to be usable in those situations...how would you even use GPS? Wifi? 3G? And then after using up your battery in 5 hours or less trying to connect to satelites where would you plug into for a charge? The cliff you're climbing has outlets?

17. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

Water skiing/wakeboarding?

Fishing?

A day at the beach?

Hanging out by the swimming pool?

You REALLY can't see the advantage of having your phone protected with this case in those situations?

18. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

I said name a situation where you actually NEED this case. "Need" is the operative word. Do you NEED this case to hang out by the pool with your iphone? To spend a day at the beach with it?

You would probably need it to go water skiing and wakeboarding but why would you want to bring your phone out with you when you're doing either of those things? Gonna make a call out there? :confused:

I get that a very small amount of people will actually have some valid reason to use this thing...but for most people, it's WAAAAY overkill.

That's probably why they stopped making them, don't you think?:rolleyes:

19. Ironworker808 macrumors regular

You are correct, need is the operative word. Does anyone NEED a cellphone? We got along fine without them for decades. Yet most people will tell you that they do indeed need their phone with them at all times. And this case was designed with 'active lifestyles' in mind. Apparently, there are not enough people who think they do need that extreme protection, hence the discontinued item. I wouldn't buy this case either, my Otterbox Defender protects my phone just fine.;)

20. miggitymac macrumors 6502a

miggitymac

Well, most people buy things because they either need it or want it. Sometimes both.

Some people don't need cellphones, but they want one, so they buy one. Some people don't want Windows PCs, but they need one (for work, school, etc) so they buy one.

In the case of this protector...not many people will need one nor will they want one.